Painting the cockpit/interior of a defender

Hey guys,

Doing abit of a sort out on the Land Rover 90 pickup and I’ve rebuilt the seat belt area, striker plates and seatbox using yrmit panels.

I am now looking to paint it all, I’ve for dinitrol hard drying underseal for the underside but what can I use for the insides? Need to paint the seatbox, battery tray, floors, front of rear tub...basically the whole insides of a 90 truck cab 

I do not have access to any air or compressor so will have to be a spray can or maybe brushed on? 

what’s my options? Bed liner, but once done there’s no going back? Had a good search and really struggling to find something suitable. 

it’s strictly a off roader so needs to be pretty hard wearing and mud resistant. I’m looking to just keep it easy and do it all black 

cheers guys 

Use a solvent  cleaner to ensure no oil or grease present lightly rub surfaces to be painted with a scotch bright pad or wet and dry paper, any bare metal will need to be covered with a primer first, etch primer if it's aluminium, then spray or brush, brush painting will give a thicker covering, spray will look smoother as to paint choice you could use black smoothrite  easy enough to touch up if needed regards Stephen

I've repainted a few aluminium panels, floors and the box section from the midrow seats. My first attempt flaked off in places because I didn't abrade the aluminium properly so definitely give it a good going over with scotch brite or sanding and degreasing. The hardest wearing finish I've had was quite a quick job on the floor panels brushed on with thinned down paintman etch primer then 2 coats of buzzweld 1 gloss brushed on. I took the old finish off with a flapdisc and then degreased it before painting. Seems to have held up ok but they've not had much bashing around to be fair. You want quite a thin coat of etch primer, it's easy to overdo it with a brush. I've not used bedliner before, it looks like it would be harder to clean than a gloss finish but I don't know.

Driveallnight, you will need to prime any bare aluminium with etch primer and abrade any good existing paintwork that you want to paint over. I've used spray on etch primer on panels with some existing paintwork still on them and not had any adverse reactions but I don't know if that's the correct thing to do. If you have areas of white corrosion then you will want to remove as much as you can.

Edited by Sharp
  • Like 1

It's important with aluminium to abrade it just before painting so the paint goes on before it has a chance to react with the atmosphere. By all means do the bulk of prep but go over it just before painting. People seem to get good results by brush with enamel paints, eg from Paintman but I haven't tried personally.

9 hours ago, cackshifter said:

It's important with aluminium to abrade it just before painting so the paint goes on before it has a chance to react with the atmosphere. By all means do the bulk of prep but go over it just before painting. People seem to get good results by brush with enamel paints, eg from Paintman but I haven't tried personally.

Ali will react literally seconds after going over it... so you’ll always need etch primer. 

I use epoxy primer for everything, it will stick anywhere and is more durable. If you go to an autobody supplier they usually have it in spray cans as well as regular paint cans. For a nice finish I'll usually clean with degreaser,  scuff 120 grit, spray primer sealer, spray high build, wet sand to 600 grit and then finish coat. For stuff that won't be seen I'll skip the high build and wet sand and just spray urethane top coat within the coating window (usually up to 24 hours).

Not sure if you guys can get it but I've read good things about Steel-It. I guess a lot of the off road race teams are using it as it's really durable and you can weld through it. You would want the polyurethane here not the epoxy, no primer needed but they do have it, just can't weld through that though.

https://steel-it.com/pages/motorsports-powersports

Sean

Like most things, a quality product can make a big difference. 

I have always found U-POL etch primer to be far superior to cheaper alternatives. Halfords sell it in large rattle cans in the UK. 

You can get good results from spray cans if they are properly mixed and you don't use them right to the end when they go all splattery. You need to keep them mixed whilst spraying and give them a short blast upside-down if the nozzle starts to clog up. 

Finishing with a good clear coat (U-POL again) will also produce a durable finish.