200TDI veg oil conversions

4 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

It is ca. 1l per minute. Quess where I know that from 😉

Thats actually quite a lot! If you run ten mins to warm up properly before switching to veg that would easily over flow a brimmed tank!

The system I linked is different. It has two valves. One of them is switching between rape oil tank and Diesel tank. The other one is making a short cut between return and input of the injection pump running a second time over the additional heater or feeding the return back to the veg oil tank.

As long as the short cut is activated the system will get hot sooner and will take only the fuel really needed from the choosen tank.

Works perfect

Edited by Sigi_H

5 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

This thread OP was on MLS gasket failure, and it's morphed into a thread on multi-tank and multi-fuel options.  I don't want to be a kill-joy, but, please, let's stay on topic or/and start a new thread.  Moderators, it's up to you.

Mike

The MLS gasket parts & Veg oil discussion parts have been split in to 2 seperate threads. so this thread is for Veg Oil conversions only 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, western said:

The MLS gasket parts & Veg oil discussion parts have been split in to 2 seperate threads. so this thread is for Veg Oil conversions only 

Thanks Ralph - Sorry for diverging the threads.

• Like 1

I run on Rapeseed and Shell Diesel. 2 tanks to 1, for a large part of the year. But I fill my tank at half full, so it's a nice mix of both

No tank heater, just standard 200tdi.

We buy the rape seed in, run it through the press and filter through an old Bio-fuel tower. 

Only issue is more regular fuel filter changes. Rape oil still works at minus 2-3, but mixing it with diesel allows minus 3-4. 

2 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I run on Rapeseed and Shell Diesel. 2 tanks to 1, for a large part of the year. But I fill my tank at half full, so it's a nice mix of both

No tank heater, just standard 200tdi.

We buy the rape seed in, run it through the press and filter through an old Bio-fuel tower. 

Only issue is more regular fuel filter changes. Rape oil still works at minus 2-3, but mixing it with diesel allows minus 3-4. 

Similar to me currently, but if I know I will use the whole tank in one run I go up to 100%. 

I do find I get issues if I go into the colder months so tend to stop using veg when it gets sub 5-10C.

I just keep wondering if I should install the rest of the gear

I just don't see the point. I only use the rapeseed as it's available, the bulk of my mileage is for work, so fuel is almost paid for under the company fuel mileage scheme.

I think when Diesel becomes more expensive (again) I will think about it some more

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

I just don't see the point. I only use the rapeseed as it's available, the bulk of my mileage is for work, so fuel is almost paid for under the company fuel mileage scheme.

I think when Diesel becomes more expensive (again) I will think about it some more

That's pretty much where I am at. Every now and then these conversations arise that are sparked off - in this case by the OP and the heated fuel filter - and they resurrect my interest in 'doing it properly'. I will continue to plan/gather bits (I have the heat exchanger, heated filter head, and a six port Pollack valve already but need to sort a tank) and then I can do it when I have time. 

• Like 1