What am I missing here

Stellaghost

Never noticed this before or am I just being thick ( dont answer that )

Was trial fitting a prop shaft onto my rear portal today and it just did not look right . When I turn prop through 90 degrees the angles are not equal you will see better in the pictures 

Prop held level

20210426_134603.thumb.jpg.3041321a06506e2b13ec944e99626cda.jpg

Prop dropped

20210426_134614.thumb.jpg.15fef447c20dfb08dc48defb0ed40077.jpg

Prop turned through 90 degrees 

Y20210426_134526.thumb.jpg.c9f9fa9f5dea0bde4dcc4e7f10f51b4e.jpg

Your probably all laughing now at my possible senior moment  but I'm just not getting this difference in angular movement I would have thought it would be equal at all points of the rotation confused regards Stephen 

These photos might explain better with prop flange flat on the table and shaft leaning over onto axle casing you get this angle and distance in from table edge

20210426_163136.thumb.jpg.98e516ed879b224c3b886f9f182d5f2c.jpg

However if you turn prop through 90 degrees you get this angle  and prop is further in from the end of the table

20210426_163150.thumb.jpg.e4f99c9ecab63cd7b7fbc58e79d93c63.jpg

I would have thought this positioning would remain the same but it doesn't.  I have also checked two different  landrover props and same issue ???? Regards Stephen 

It's the shorter centre height of the x pin to the mounting flange ( to diff) . The early RRC props had much deeper yokes on the diff mounting section . I think there are suppliers that have these deeper yokes on new props 

Steve 

• Like 1

I checked 2 different props and they seem to have equal deflection in both directions.

But it is totally possible to have deflection values as the limiting factor on each directions is a different part of the prop.
They could have different yoke depths and styles of cutouts on the the flange side.

I note that it looks like a gap pointed to in the picture below with the red arrow is different to mine which move until there is no gap in this direction/

image.png.8e2f560a599bebf8cc2b7cf3b43f1d27.png

Edited by zardos

3 minutes ago, steve b said:

It's the shorter centre height of the x pin to the mounting flange ( to diff) . The early RRC props had much deeper yokes on the diff mounting section . I think there are suppliers that have these deeper yokes on new props 

Steve 

This would explain it I guess just cannot understand why it would be designed  and  configured  like that regards Stephen 

On the propside, the yoke is rather slim as it only connects to the tube. On the other side, the yoke attaches to the flage, which is a larger diameter so will cause binding at a smaller angle. As the prop is not designed for the extreme angles allowed by the small side, is doesn't really matter if the other angle is slightly larger. So the cutout was probably a compromise between the minimum angle needed and the strength of the flange.