Defender Handbrake Setup

Hi Folks,

Getting things back together slowly. Attached the handbrake drum to the transfer box and started setting it up.

Wanted to check the shoe action - video attached. Essentially only the one shoe seems to move. 

Wondering when it's in side the drum, once the moving show makes contact, perhaps the other shoe will move?

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Simon...

Defender 110 300 Tdi 1997

Try slipping the drum half way on so that it confines the shoes but leaves them visible and then try again.  On Series brakes, the actuated end has rollers pushing both shoes out, while the pivot ends of the shoes are in a floating block that ensures equal pressure is applied to each shoe.  I’d be surprised if they changed that system, and i suspect that you just have one side of the mechanism stiffer than the other, in which case a bit of cleaning and very mild lubrication of the mechanism itself (high melt point grease, not the usual stuff) should see a more balanced amount of friction in the two halves.

23 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

The system changed from the rod-operated* expander mechanism to the above cable-operated mechanism around the introduction of the 300Tdi.

* there’s still a cable, it just connects to a bracket on the box which transfers the movement to the rod. 

I really meant the bits encapsulated inside the drum, specifically the expander and floating pivot.  I know the levers changed a lot and the rod and relay were replaced with a Bowden cable.  It’s possible that the expander is single sided, but it seems unlikely given how inefficient the brake would be and how the Series models had double acting expanders.

Hi Folks,

Little more playing around in the garage this morning.

Think this is simply down to differences in rotational friction of the shoes. Wedging the left shoe with an angled piece of trim tool and pulling the handbrake cable results in the right shoe moving. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ChUSbHKds66TskMLA

As such, when the drum is fitted believe this will be all good.

Thanks all for the replies above.

Simon...

Edited by simonpelly

Good, that means it’s all serviceable.  It also means my speculation is right and that you have a bit more resistance to the motion on the right hand side than the left, so it may be worth stripping the actuator to ensure no dirt or corrosion is affecting it.

I just had the situation of planning to just bolt the handbrake back on after changing out the gearbox … but I ended up rebuilding it, and I don’t regret it nor really understand why I didn’t think it was the right thing to do in the first place ! 😊