Series Dashboard in a Defender ?

Asking for a friend (....)

As the warning lights etc. are invisible and he is not too impressed by the standard dash, does anybody have done this ?

Any pics ?

Also, is there a Tacho (Rev. Counter) that would nicely fit the Series dash ?

Thank you

He could use the Td5 instrument pack, it has a led warning light panel & all the info to fit if on here in the wibnly wobbly speedo post & summarised on retroanacondas Web pages. I would say a Series 3 dash is a backward step. 

Aside from nicer switches, theres not much to gain really - surely some brighter bulbs or swapping the instruments out for VDO would save a load of hassle..  If I were going to retrofit a dash I'd go further back to S2/2a style, much smarter. 

In case your friend doesn't know - the dash binnacles are different, it's not a bolt-in jobby and there's a support bar that may well be in the way.

If he just wants brighter warning lights, find some decent LED bulbs to replace them with.

Anything is of course possible...

2020-02-07_19-20-33.jpg

I have fitted a couple of series 3 dash to 90s (pre Defender) and it all physically fitted as far as I can remember. Wiring was easy to sort out. I dont think a TD5 or Puma would be easy regarding the wiring.

Why on earth would you want a rev counter ? They are a waste of time on anything other than a performance car. Just eye candy on everything else.

The sonic rev counter tells you all you need to know !

• Like 1

19 hours ago, smallfry said:

I have fitted a couple of series 3 dash to 90s (pre Defender) and it all physically fitted as far as I can remember.

If you transplant the whole dash yes - the binnacles and dash top are different though, so you can't just swap the instruments across easily.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If you transplant the whole dash yes - the binnacles and dash top are different though, so you can't just swap the instruments across easily.

Well yes. That is what I meant. I assumed he meant the whole dash including the MUCH nicer dash top of the series 3. Great to put things on !

My favourite is the really early series 3 top with the full width windscreen vents.