Hose clip type

Which type of hose clip do people think is best for coolant hoses? I've always used Jubilee clips but not always found them to be great (even genuine jubilee). 

What's the collective view on the spring type clip? (I'd get the proper tool for the spring type if I do go down that route). 

ae235.jpeg

s-l300.jpg

Jubilee type clips or OK on BIG hoses 80mm plus, but I always use the spring type now. I dont like what jubilee clips do to the hoses when the hose is crushed up like a sweet wrapper and one of my pet hates if the long excess "tail" you get. Looks so bodgy, and right up there with lashings of blue Hylomar IMO.

Spring clips look better anyway, and the fact that all manufactures use them now as OE tells you something

However, you have to be careful what you buy. Some of those on ebay are light duty.

I always buy Mikalor heavy duty W1 type. Thicker and stronger so last longer. I also help myself to a selection of OE ones when I go to a scrapyard.

• Thanks 1

Hmm yet again, great advice and experience on here. I had noticed some cheap ones on ebay look a bit naff. I will check out those Mikalor. 

It's the subjectivity of the screw type that is making me think of options. I never know if I'm over or under tightening the Jubilee ones. 

Really like the speed with which you can remove a spring clip style one, pair of mole grips, or heaven forbid the proper tool, and it is off. 

The jubilee style are just a pain, honestly, especially when older when a slightly mashed head makes getting a screwdriver or socket on it impossible. 

11 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

The jubilee style are just a pain, honestly, especially when older when a slightly mashed head makes getting a screwdriver or socket on it impossible. 

Or the kind on a mates Nissan NV400…. Total pain in the arse to get at the position of the jubilee in the middle of the boostpipe half way up the front of the engine. 7mm too small… 8mm too small… 9mm too big…. Turned out after removing the entire pipe that it was round with two opposing slots down the side 180deg apart :angry:

We only use spring bands on coolant hoses on our cars at work, as mentioned above, it's essentially the only thing OEMs use now, they are better than thread based clamps due to their ability to move and have a longer service life.

However, they only work if you have the right sized pipe and hose, if the hose is too large, a spring band will leak but a jubilee won't as people can just overtighten them (at least for a while).

This only applies to coolant pipes though, lots of other connections still use jubilee or mikalor style

Edited by Adam001