100 inch Defender/Discovery hybrid

Hi all, it’s been a while since I have been on here.

I am revisiting the idea of 100’ Defender/Discovery.

I have completely stalled with the 1999 V8 restoration so maybe that is telling me something?

The global pandemic has not helped 😗

Currently away and gives me plenty of time to think.

The only consideration I have given the D1 is this must be one of the last registered - 20th June 1999

Ian

I have been doing some research on what to do - again, not a Tomcat, I would like one but the finances cannot stretch to one and swmbo wants a 'bit of comfort'! 
probably looking at building a shorter version of a 110.

some folks will say 'buy a 110' well they are getting very pricey, so... build a one.

chassis needs usual repair near the A frame mounts but apart from that its good, engine very sound with good compession.

great to see the 100's are eligible

Edited by IanV8disco

Bear in mind if you change the disco rear cross member to a defender style then it will need an IVA. There was one on here that made a frame for the body to sit on this no mods to the chassis I think he used a hi cap rear tub to hide the discos rear overhang.

Mike

• Like 1

I have been thinking about this lately, and I think its a load of b*****ks.

So its quite OK to "rebody" a Disco or RR chassis and make it into something it isnt, being that these chassis are not as heavy duty as Defender ones. Remember that Defender chassis have a deeper ( taller) section that the Disco or RR, so is therefore already stronger.

Its also OK to add extra frames and brackets, which have not been subject to any sort of approval, or even any sort of checks regarding material and QC, ie carp welding etc.

Also OK to tack on crossmembers and "repair" plates, however badly , up to a point, misalignment, dubious welding etc.

You can buy a replacement half chassis to "repair" a 90 chassis, again with no sort of checks, which is essentially EXACTLY the same as a "cut and shut" job.

So I see no problem whatsoever with putting the join in the "wrong place" and making the chassis a bit longer and "rebodying" it in the same way. 

Miketomcat, this is the route I will go down, adding framework to the existing D1 body mounts no alterations to the chassis, I will be getting the welding checked.

smallfry, all fair comments to be honest.

It is nonsense that anyone can replace the rear of a chassis and it does not require inspection, some of the repair sections can be substantial too, and who checks that you have increased or decreased a wheelbase after doing these repairs.

Adding a cross member and moving 2 outriggers is not a huge job.

The project again is on hold until I get word back from Jaguar Land Rover telling me when my D1 was built, if it is one of the last one's; I don't think its right to give up on the D1.

Cheers Ian