Snorkel Question - 300tdi Disco 1

Jim Mason

Hi all,

Got a snorkel fitted for sometime on the landy, with the air inlet facing the road.

But curious if this is the correct way to have it as recently had a lot of black smoke and found the air filter damp and a little mouldy in places.

Thinking of having it rear facing.

Also just covered with square mesh as i keep finding blue tits inside the air box.

Curious on peoples thoughts on which way it should correctly face...

20210922_173001.jpg

20210922_172942.jpg

20210922_172939.jpg

20210922_172928.jpg

I used to have mine facing forward, with a grill on, and found that when laning in dense foliage (lots of bushes!) I'd get leaves blocking the entrance as they stuck to the grill.  So, I now run mine open and angled over using a 180deg pipe, e.g. aligned to the upward slope of the windscreen.  I also change my air filter every 6 months, even if it looks new.  Usual contents is bits of leaves.  Must say, your filter looks really old!

Filter isnt all that old, done 3000 miles since last service as i service landy every 5000 miles...

Its possibly 12 months old if that, misplaced notebook so cannot give exact date.

Its due another service, get the next few weeks out of the way then it will be due a service.

Finding filter always looks like this hence question over direction it should face.

Dont do much green laning these days its purely for when flying my bird of prey and crossing farm land

All the  Camel Trophy Discovery's had the snorkel head facing backwards, most of the modern ABS plastic type Land rover raised air intakes have the vent facing backwards.

Quite simply - turn it around and see how you get on. I don't think there is a right or wrong way of installing it as such. - it certainly shouldn't cause you any induction issues.

2 hours ago, Maverik said:

All the  Camel Trophy Discovery's had the snorkel head facing backwards, most of the modern ABS plastic type Land rover raised air intakes have the vent facing backwards.

Quite simply - turn it around and see how you get on. I don't think there is a right or wrong way of installing it as such. - it certainly shouldn't cause you any induction issues.

That was because in heavy foliage, leaves get sucked accross the face of the intake. Early CT were all mushroom heads (upto 1990 Discovery), which, due to the centrifugal effect, spin out any water ingested 

Facing foward you do get a lot of rain water intake - wheras backwards it is reduced somewhat. With a Donaldson type. all the water ingested, is spun out and then leaves through a drain hole in the head

Interesting topic. 

I think the standard 300Tdi Disco's air filter element is too small for dusty conditions. Having travelled a few times behind other vehicles on dirt roads, I got into the habit of shaking clean the air filter element every night. And I was always surprised at the amount of dust in the filter element.

When I re-bored the engine at 396k km, I could just get a clean bore at 2nd oversize

The obvious solution would be to fit a Donaldson, as per Defender, but space is a problem.

Would a snorkel alleviate the problem ? When we travel on dirt roads, the dust go much higher than the roof of the vehicle, hence my doubt about the effectiveness of a snorkel to reduce the dust burden on a filter element. I would appreciate the informed wisdom of this forum 😉

11 hours ago, Sabre said:

Interesting topic. 

I think the standard 300Tdi Disco's air filter element is too small for dusty conditions. Having travelled a few times behind other vehicles on dirt roads, I got into the habit of shaking clean the air filter element every night. And I was always surprised at the amount of dust in the filter element.

When I re-bored the engine at 396k km, I could just get a clean bore at 2nd oversize

The obvious solution would be to fit a Donaldson, as per Defender, but space is a problem.

Would a snorkel alleviate the problem ? When we travel on dirt roads, the dust go much higher than the roof of the vehicle, hence my doubt about the effectiveness of a snorkel to reduce the dust burden on a filter element. I would appreciate the informed wisdom of this forum 😉

Try a Donaldson head first - it's relatively hig maintenance and does need a snorkel to fit to.

Option two would be to go Aussie style and fit a precleaner up on the roof - 200Tdi syle would do

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 9:08 AM, Nonimouse said:

Try a Donaldson head first - it's relatively hig maintenance and does need a snorkel to fit to.

Option two would be to go Aussie style and fit a precleaner up on the roof - 200Tdi syle would do

Good idea, thanks 👍