Carport

Adam001

16 hours ago, landroversforever said:

That looks great! Any reason for not going the full width of the garage? 

Yeah 2 main reasons. One was the cost, lept up significantly as i would have needed to go up a size on the rafters and with the length of them and the current climate they would have been very pricey. Second was we are hoping to do an extension which would eat into the space a little so a little future proofing..but mostly reason one! 😋

Edited by Adam001
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well done! I've been building (or more to the point, not building) a car port for some time. It's located at the side of my yard - in order to get the space, I had to demolish a stone wall and then dig out the bank behind it. I estimate that I've moved the best part of 50 tons of soil/clay/rock - all by hand. Loads of people said 'just hire a digger', but that would only have cut down the work by a small amount as we used a lot of the better soil to help level up the 'lawn' - which is more like rough pasture. And that process meant sifting through it all to remove stones, broken glass, bits of old metal, etc. I've now got the area cleared - but it'll have to wait for the ground to dry out before I can get the footings for the retaining wall in place. At least that's my excuse - in the meantime, I can get on with the Defender...

1 hour ago, Paddy_SP said:

Well done! I've been building (or more to the point, not building) a car port for some time. It's located at the side of my yard - in order to get the space, I had to demolish a stone wall and then dig out the bank behind it. I estimate that I've moved the best part of 50 tons of soil/clay/rock - all by hand. Loads of people said 'just hire a digger', but that would only have cut down the work by a small amount as we used a lot of the better soil to help level up the 'lawn' - which is more like rough pasture. And that process meant sifting through it all to remove stones, broken glass, bits of old metal, etc. I've now got the area cleared - but it'll have to wait for the ground to dry out before I can get the footings for the retaining wall in place. At least that's my excuse - in the meantime, I can get on with the Defender...

Any excuse to hire plant! :D