Stolen 1989

Hi I would like a little help some b stole my 90 when I was out with the walking the dog . That's no the problem really I need help with it what the insurance company will offer and what I should accept. Its a 1989 90 on a galvanised  chassis 48000 miles bfg allterrain all round and a superwinch tiger shark winch. I have been looking at prices of similar car and they range from 8 ish to 14 ish. I don't really know how much it was /is worth  it was fine  good nick but these cars they are advertising between  8 and 14 what condition are they in? Anyone can ask any figure they want. Really what I am asking is if I accept  say £8k will I be able to replace it , I don't want to find out the hard way that 8k will get you a rough one but to get a nice on like that one the moneys 12k. Any advice

It's irrelevant what current prices are if you only had it insured for say £3k. Unless you have it agreed value you'll only get market value or what you insured it for whichever is lowest. Because defender prices have skyrocketed there are thousands of underinsured trucks out there, the value you insured for 10 years ago is whoa fully inaccurate now especially if you've just renewed year on year.

Mike

12 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

It's irrelevant what current prices are if you only had it insured for say £3k. Unless you have it agreed value you'll only get market value or what you insured it for whichever is lowest. Because defender prices have skyrocketed there are thousands of underinsured trucks out there, the value you insured for 10 years ago is whoa fully inaccurate now especially if you've just renewed year on year.

Mike

Assuming the OP does not have an agreed value on it (otherwise he would know exactly what he is going to get) then market value is exactly what he should be aiming for. Providing an estimated market value when you insure it is very different from having an agreed value, they cannot hold you to an estimated market value as that could go up or down

In terms of finding out what £xx buys the only real way is to go and look at a few. I have my Defenders on agreed value now as valuing Defenders is a minefield

I not got agreed value , sorry no pics either I did not see any reason to take pictures   I wasn't  going to sell it. I am just asking what's a reasonable  price to accept. I see some at 24k but are they getting that. That seems  like pie in the sky prices but then again are these ones at 8k just a chassis swap with a ramp and all on old bushes ect. That why I asked. I told the insurance when I insured it this year 10k. Should I try and hold them to that  or more. Not really got a clue  ,got another car anyway but would like to get it over and done with/, without holding out with the insurance ect

found a pic

20210420_143500.jpg

Edited by Jim young

If you told them £10k that is what I would expect but I doubt you'll get more. The upside is if they offer you less (I would expect a lower offer) you can go back with plent of examples of higher values therefore making it very difficult for them to offer less.

Mike

Thanks oh does anyone know it seem daft to me. They said to me someone will phone me and have my log book the "keys" with me . The log book ok but the keys over the telephone? They also want the service history well they can't get that it in the car . But the keys over the phone , what am I missing?