Diesel imported to Canada.

Burldisco

Hi,  I have a 22 year old Discover 2 with a V8, gasoline here is getting pricy , yes I know it's cheap compared to UK.

Question is changing it to at a diesel. Because we do not have any Land Rover Diesels so I don't have a idea what would be a good fit.  I have a new shell for a disco 2

and full chassis.  Ebay uk?

8 hours ago, Burldisco said:

Hi,  I have a 22 year old Discover 2 with a V8, gasoline here is getting pricy , yes I know it's cheap compared to UK.

Question is changing it to at a diesel. Because we do not have any Land Rover Diesels so I don't have a idea what would be a good fit.  I have a new shell for a disco 2

and full chassis.  Ebay uk?

The D2 was offered with the Td5 2.5 litre Turbo Diesel engine in the UK and other markets. The Td5 is quite nice tbh and fairly tunable. And should offer more mpg than a petrol Rover V8..... BUT...

The V8 is more powerful than even a tuned Td5. And when you tune a Td5 and drive it hard the mpg will be a lot lower. As you'd have to remote buy and ship and then convert. I suspect the cost vs fuel savings simply is not worth it.

This is likely to be true of any local engine you could swap in. You basically have a few options. You either need to find an adapter to fit the current transmission, or an an adepter to fit a new transmission but mates to the LT230 transfer box or you replace engine, transmission and transfer box with donor ones and fab up some way of connecting to the axles (or replace the axles too).

Either way I can't see it being cheap or any savings to be had.

The 2.8 cummins above is nice engine as a new crate item. But that engine alone must be worth several times what your entire D2 would be worth in perfect running order. From what I've seen the 2.8 Cummins offer similar performance and power to the Land Rover Td5.

Personally I'd stick with a petrol V8.

Thinking outside the box. The BMW M57 3.0 litre S6 diesel (fitted to TD6 L322 Range Rovers and BMW cars) is probably the most powerful modern viable diesel that is a moderately easy swap and been done before. Not sure if you have access to such engines in Canada/USA though?

But such a swap really needs to be done for the fun of it. Not for fuel saving costs, as it'll cost you thousands to perform the swap IMO.

^^^^ He means an M57 fitted to 3 series and 5 series. Engine is cheap to buy (here) adaptor plates easy to buy, and I reckon you can do it for less than £2000 if you do the work yourself, but as with all these conversions, how much petrol could you buy with that ? Remember you are only gaining the difference between the price of petrol or diesel, and also, modern diesels have a lot of expensive bits on them that could end up costing serious money.

An old fashioned "clockwork" diesel engine like a 200 or 300 tdi will seem very noisy, coarse, and unrefined, compared to the V8 (or the M57)

If the V8 is running Ok and you do not do moon mileage, probably better to leave it alone ? Unless you really want the project.

Another thing to consider would be the paperwork and legality of a fuel and engine change for your age vehicle in your area. 

Keep the V8 , keep your tyres at optimum pressure and minimum width and drag ( tread) and enjoy the drive ? 

Steve 

PS are you going to rebody and rechassis  in this maybe conversion ?  

On 3/23/2022 at 10:24 AM, Bowie69 said:

Big thing is what your budget is?

Is it out of the question to put a cummins repower kit in it? 

R2.8 Turbo Diesel | Cummins Inc.

Very suitable size/weight/power for a D2, and 'native' to your continent.

This would make sence to me aswell.  When having issues, you will thank your self for going that route.  160 horses and 420 nm will make up for the V8