LT77 V8 question

Kmc

After some advice please concerning the V8 adapter plate to be used with a defender diesel LT77…
I have a Discovery 3.9 V8 with a manual flywheel and a Phillips adapter ring. When I bolt up the adapter ring to the engine there is not much clearance between flywheel and the adapter. I was thinking of making a aluminium 3mm spacer to add clearance, has anyone had this issue?

The other question I have concerns the clutch, the original fixing bolts are close to the adapter ring. Do I need to use a Defender TDI clutch and have the flywheel re-drilled?

Any help greatly appreciate.

D6314E1F-C055-40BA-98A7-85A3B57DAE0F.jpeg

2968D4D7-5623-4B3F-8331-45670905A216.jpeg

411CE685-2C55-44F9-A076-46F381685062.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

These are designed to use the car flywheel which is lighter and hence thinner, and also use the smaller clutch.

you either need a different flywheel, or get yours machinist both to take the smaller clutch and also for clearance to the apart or plate

jon

I have used these Phillips/Milner adaptor plates in the past with the thicker flywheel with no issues except that the flywheel MUST be redrilled to accept a 9 1/2 inch clutch, you CANNOT fit the 10 1/2 V8 clutch, as these kits were originally for series models. Will fit an LT77 though.

You have to cut a piece off off the end of the crankshaft where the spigot bush originally went. IIRC 6mm ?

I assume that flywheel is bolted direct to the crankshaft without any sort of spacer or has the crank already been cut ? Looks like it has been ?

You have the spigot bush adaptor flange that goes with the kit ? It bolts over the flywheel. Without it, the kit is useless as there is no support for the gearbox input shaft.

IF you use the thinner car type flywheel, you would need to do something with the release arm pivot and pushrod for it to work.

Sorry, memory a bit sketchy now, as its got to be 30 years ago.

Honestly by the time you've gone to all the rigmarole of adaptions & alterations just to fit the smaller & worse clutch you may as well source a V8 gearbox & bellhousing which lets you use 100% proper V8 parts with no mucking about.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hello,

rather than create new I’d like to contribute to this thread for future info :)

I’m in the same situation; adapter, 4.6 v8, LT77, must buy/make spigot adapter, must buy & redrill v8 FW.

Just wondering if the 60mm adapter means the clutch isn’t so far on the LT77 input splines? Assume not as nobody mentions it in their conversions?

Also cutting the crank down for the spigot adapter, hmm don’t know how to make the cut square to the crank axis without removing it; or is it just a concentric ring but that’s being removed??

(v8 arriving on a pallet today so am being preemptive / exited)

also ordered Microsquirt - that will be a different thread! 

hoped to find an owners build thread with all the info but no go yet

Cheers!

Harry

Edited by Pistonsquirter

Hi and welcome to the forum

Lots of V8 fans on here, pretty sure you will get the info you need

I cut a section off a V8 crank years ago to fit one of the above kits, took it off with a hacksaw does not need to be perfectly square it just needs to allow the spigot bush to be fitted, so providing the spigot bush can be bolted up square it won't matter if the end of the crank is slightly wonky

Good luck with the project will be watching with interest

Regards Stephen

To answer the OP;

yes you need the FW redrilled for a 9,1/2” clutch, 

you’ll need the clutch type to suit your box (200tdi), series clutch has wrong splines for  LT77.

it is okay that the FW is close to the Milner cast housing 

per ‘smallfry’ you’ll need the gearbox input shaft spigot adapter available from eBay etc for circa £100,

beers