Modify carling rocker switch from 24v to 12v

henk

53 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Just try connecting them up, they may work without modifications  .

I would second this. You are going to be putting half the expected voltage across the LED so worst case is it won't work, best case you are good to go

LED's often have quite a broad working range. Lots of marker lights work on 12v and 24v

• Like 2

I've recently taken apart a few Carling switches to see what options I had for rewiring them for specific purposes (me keeping busy with unimportant gadgets instead of cracking on with my Range Rover build...). This included a fair bit of research in the Carling technical files. I can confirm the switch part is identical, I don't even think there is a difference in materials used, only a different rating for higher voltages. The LEDs are not powered directly, but have small resistors between the springs and contacts. Those are quite important, I blew 2 LEDs while testing because I forgot to install the resistors... In your case, I fear the LEDs will not light up because there's not enough voltage left. But that's the worst that can happen (as above), so no harm in trying. The cure would be to source suitable resistors of half the value. Those might be hard to find, so maybe easier/cheaper to replace the LEDs with either 12V LEDs or simple bulbs.

Filip

LEDs are current mode devices - i.e. the current flowing through them dictates the brightness. Too much current and they go pop as @Escape discovered. The cheap and dirty method of limiting the current is to use a series resistor.

LEDs do require a minimum voltage to operate (anything up to ~2.6V typically), any less and they just don't function. Above that "forward voltage drop" then the current flowing through it dictates the brightness. So voltage will not kill an LED but slightly more current than intended and pop goes the weasel.

Running a "24V" LED (or one designed for a 24V) system on a 12V system which has a current limiting resistor will just dim the LED.

(There can be quite a lot more complications but for the purposes of a carling switch this will suffice).

For "standard" LEDs yes. We've got some LEDs made for us that have much higher forward voltage drops because of their internal construction. Internally yes they see those diode drops but externally they need to be driven harder.