Brake Caliper Compatibility Defender/RR/Discovery

Many years ago I swapped the front axle on my 90 (originally 1987 2.5NA) for one off a Discovery 1 which was in much better condition and which had vented discs/calipers.  The only installation difference I recall was that the Discovery calipers had two brake fluid input lines which meant I had to put a T-splitter on each side to double up the Defender's single brake line connections. 

Now, those front calipers could use a refresh/rebuild/replacement and I'm keen to return to the single brake line input system to eliminate the T-splitters which have always seemed like a bit of a bodge (even if they have worked fine for nearly 2 decades).

I presume that I will need to install Defender vented calipers? Are the Defender caliper bolt patterns compatible with the Disco axle (and all other RR/Defender front axles for that matter?) ie will any vented front caliper from any of the three models fit?

Thanks!

Edited by chadler

25 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Have you still got the old callipers to try? The vented callipers just have a spacer between the two halves of the unit to make them clear the thicker disk. 

Weren’t the early 90/110 front calipers the smaller piston 41.6mm?

I have just fitted new calipers on my truck.  I got them from one of the forum members but the were unused. The part numbers were SEB500460 and SEB500470. These were advertised as for a 300tdi/Td5 by the member. They are Britpart calipers. 

These are a single feed.

I went from standard discs on my truck to these which are vented. My axle is an older 10 spline which I believe was 200tdi.  

It would be worth confirming the hole centres for fixing though. I have a feeling the axle cases are the same but can't confirm. 

Also, when you take your calipers off, check the bolts. If you are refitting the same bolt then that's fine, but if you are going to fit new bolts make sure you get the right ones.  My axle was M12x1.75 coarse thread on one side and M12x1.25 fine thread on the other!!! (It should have been the course thread on both sides but the muppet that changed the caliper on the near side fitted the fine thread which ended up with me having to fit helicoils!!).

Remember the bolts are bi-hex 12 point heads, 13mm - but people also recommend 1/2". I found that a good quality socket makes a difference as you want a good tight fit.

Hope everything goes well as mine were a  bit trying!!

PS - My new calipers are Britpart but seem to stop me well enough with Ferodo pads fitted. 

Edited by Mossberg

Thanks everyone,

I've found the very rusty original calipers from the 90 that are indeed 41.6mm.   I was toying with the idea of rebuilding them as I enjoy that sort of thing but just doesn't make economic sense when you add up price of rebuild kits, paint, vented spacers, new bolts etc.

I'll go for a pair of new SEB500460 and SEB500470 as suggested by Mossberg. They're listed as defender fitment, are the later wider piston diameter and are single feed. Will roll the dice on them having the same bolt spacing to attach to the hubs- I can't believe Land Rover would have varied these? Point taken though around thread pitch.

Thanks all- I'll update the thread when I eventually get round to the swap

Edited by chadler