Series 3 gearbox reconditioners

steve b

Hi all , 

Does anyone have any experience with Series 3 gearbox reconditioners ? Ideally here in the east but with carriers anywhere is possible .

Alternatively , I can do it myself if quality parts can be sourced , so also recommendations for quality parts would be useful 

Syncro's on first and second are ineffective and having just drained the oil 3rd and 4th are close behind as a plate spring came out complete along with another in pieces .

All in a gold flecked oily mess.....

It's behind a Disco 200Tdi with no turbo fitted in a 109" TC 

Thanks

Steve 

Cough , splutter . I've just spoken to the people a Whitehouse and it's around 6 months waiting list and £1750 + VAT . I did ask about the JLR work and they said they stopped working for them a while ago as it was not worth it ...

The search for a good used one begins

Steve 

I've just spoken to Beaumont's and they have stopped rebuilding Land Rover Series boxes as the quality of available parts has declined so much it became too costly to rework the new parts to a useable state. 

That's not very good to hear , but something we are all coming across more and more .

Waiting a call back from GLF

Steve 

They were my first port of call , they don't do Series but have done a rebuild on an R380 for me a few years back .

GLF said they can o it , 10 week waiting list and around £1300 . 

The end result is I've been very lucky and found a very good used unit complete and local to me too . Fit next week .

Steve

Gavin seems decent.  I have just ordered an overdrive rebuild kit from him.  It seems the most comprehensive on the market and only uses high quality bearings, so suggests he doesn’t cut corners or quality.

Fix it yourself. Series gearboxes aren’t complicated. No way I would pay £1300 for a recon one! I’ve fixed loads……

use genuine parts where possible, but not all pattern parts are terrible. There is a lot of old stock floating around still if you look in the right places