V8 lifter problem

MikeAK

I've been changing the lifters today, took far longer than hoped so no start up yet. One thing that was obvious was how different the profile is of the genuine vs aftermarket, I am very confident they're at least made in a different place.

Most of the time was spent trying to get the pre-load right, and after trying every variation of shim, nothing is in the 40+ and -60 thou range, half are always outside of it. Which half seems to be entirely random.

So is it better to have too much or too little preload? I have erred on too little, with most having just under 40. Clearly the only answer is adjustable pushrods but I won't have that opportunity.

• Like 1

If it is just under 40, I'd suggest that that is perfectly fine. Can probably run up to 100 though without an issue. 

I don't think you are running a particularly hot cam, are you? If not, then you are definitely fine. 

I dont think its necessary either. I dont even think its necessary for a hot cam either, UNLESS its a regrind, which has probably had some material removed from the base radius. Back in the day, hot cams were exchange, and a regrind was how it was done, but I dont think anyone does regrinds nowadays. Unnecessary shimming alters the valve geometry (assuming Rover had it right in the first place) and will cause side loading on the valve stems.

The correct was to do this after a skim, is to use shorter pushrods, but this has never been an option with the Rover V8 unless you go adjustable. They always used to be available from the factory for USA Ford and GM at one time

I suppose though, now that most of these engines are well used and pre enjoyed, you dont know if the head/s have been skimmed previously, but then you should be measuring them for thickness. 

One advantage with having a lot of preload though, is that the lifters will take up the slack from a higher degree of wear 😁