Syncro Gearboxes 2 wd Centre for LT230

western

https://www.facebook.com/100063806023580/posts/pfbid02LhKmjFxJ6V8KoxhpXrX3cbV2dvDnsUqiyKBzqR3k2PAj47wgHjyUB49sB8ttJUP1l/

Seen this on Facebook group, 

No mention of freewheel hubs for front axle requirement. 

https://www.onlinegearboxparts.com/product/lt230-selectable-2wd4wd-kit/

Not for me just thought it was of interest

What do we think.

The single most useful thing about the land rover awd system is the ability to run low ratio unlocked. It makes trailer handling so much better and gives ten forward gears.  To get around the part time 4wd system in most pickups, except the Mitsi Triton, there are various electronic or mechanical 'tricks of the trade'. But it means all that grunt going through one axle in low ratio, so often, even with decent axles, there is a nasty snappy sound, that's expensive...

Then there's competition. It's hard to beat the predicable grip limits on a Disco or 110. Two wheel drive would achieve nothing

Anyone who's ever driven a 110/90/Disco/RRC for a long distance in two wheel drive, would agree, it carp. No better on economy (unless maybe fitted with freewheel hubs)

This is a specific bit of kit for a one off specials. 

Now if Shabs were to develop an overdrive...

13 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

The single most useful thing about the land rover awd system is the ability to run low ratio unlocked. It makes trailer handling so much better and gives ten forward gears.  To get around the part time 4wd system in most pickups, except the Mitsi Triton, there are various electronic or mechanical 'tricks of the trade'. But it means all that grunt going through one axle in low ratio, so often, even with decent axles, there is a nasty snappy sound, that's expensive...

Then there's competition. It's hard to beat the predicable grip limits on a Disco or 110. Two wheel drive would achieve nothing

Anyone who's ever driven a 110/90/Disco/RRC for a long distance in two wheel drive, would agree, it carp. No better on economy (unless maybe fitted with freewheel hubs)

This is a specific bit of kit for a one off specials.

All very good points, however on the other hand...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Although any fuel savings may be offset by how much fun you can have. Especially if there's a V8 involved...

See also @FridgeFreezer's post...

17 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I suspect that's due to the geometry being set up for 4WD though, when I swapped transfer cases in the 109 (2WD to 4WD) I had to re-do the tracking as Series are toe-in and Defender etc. are toe-out, it's definitely made the steering more vague so I assume going the other way would also be detrimental.

• Like 1

Well, experience in an RRC with just rear wheel drive is that it is a complete hoon fest and felt very twitchy on the throttle.... I wouldn't recommend it in the case of shoving 2.5t (as it was) RRC around in 2WD :D

Probably fun in the right hands and in the right place (i.e. not public roads), but otherwise not actually that much use....

So I still may get one if I go LT230 in The Little Green Thing.

• Like 1

Having tried a couple of times to break a halfshaft i competition (defender 10 spline and lockers have their limits...) when trying to "get out" it always strikes me just how poor a LR 2wd is/how well the thing works std. 🙂

BUT the hoon factor is great! 🙂

/mads 

• Like 1