New owner, loud bang when turning slowly.

New owner here, 1995 imported defender 110 with a V8.

When turning near full steer at low speeds the vehicle makes a huge bang noise and lunges. I was reading that it could be the diff locked or a bad CV. I’m new to defenders so don’t understand the drivetrain fully, but should be first step to be to make sure it’s in High or unlocked before checking the CV? Sorry for my ignorance, I’m coming from G wagens where you just turn the key and go lol. That being said, I love the defender!

Make sure the centre difflock isn’t engaged (you want the high/low stick across to the right - left=locked). If that’s not sorting it, I’d get the front axle off the ground and with the steering at full lock each way, try and turn the wheels one by one. It could be that the CVs haven’t been shimmed out correctly or missing the CV spacer on the half shaft. 

It does sound like the description of a locked diff, especially a centre diff.  As Ross said, moving the small lever to the right should unlock it, but the mechanism might be faulty - a lot don’t get used and the diff lock and high/low linkages seize up.  If you try driving a tight turn on a gravelled surface, you should see some skidding from a wheel if a diff is locked up.  Alternatively, lifting one wheel with the gear box in neutral should allow you to turn it by hand if the centre diff and that axle’s diff are unlocked.

There isn’t a chance a Detroit locker is fitted in the rear axle, is there?  They are spring loaded ratcheting hubs that are locked until enough force is applied for them to slip a tooth.  They are reputed to be noisy and might produce a shudder.

• Like 1

Hey guys, so the vehicle was in high (lever all the way down). I was able to get it into neutral easily, and with a little effort, I was able to get it into low. On low I did full steer and drove in circles and so far no issues… not sure if it’s unlocked, I wasn’t able to get the diff lever to go left or right. Any tips? Does it normally sit to the right and take effort to go to the left? It appears the issue happens when the lever is in High pushed to the right. 

Edited by Lexguru

5 hours ago, Lexguru said:

Hey guys, so the vehicle was in high (lever all the way down). I was able to get it into neutral easily, and with a little effort, I was able to get it into low. On low I did full steer and drove in circles and so far no issues… not sure if it’s unlocked, I wasn’t able to get the diff lever to go left or right. Any tips? Does it normally sit to the right and take effort to go to the left? It appears the issue happens when the lever is in High pushed to the right. 

The lever should normally sit fairly upright.... then when its moved to the left to lock the centre diff, it ends up leaning to the left a bit. 

One possibly silly thought.... it might be worth sending a picture of the levers/tunnel area incase the transmission isn't something stock!

31 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

One possibly silly thought.... it might be worth sending a picture of the levers/tunnel area incase the transmission isn't something stock!

I don't think they made Defenders in 1995 with a V8, so that is quite the possibility. In which case it could have a Range Rover Classic drivetrain, and have a Borg Warner transfer box, which being a viscous coupling has no left/right on the transfer box lever....

Confirming that would be a big head start.

If it is a BW box then it will depend on where the noise is coming from -if under the seatbox then it could be the chain slipping in the box, if from the front axle, then as above a CV or similar is out, or perhaps the viscous unit is seized and causing the front wheels to skid on paved surfaces, or it could be that and the fact the viscous has failed has knocked out a CV as well. 

Lots of options, need to confirm box(es) first -saying that reminded me, is it manual or auto.....?

Hey guys, a quick update. I removed the shift boot and saw that the shift is all the way to the right. There is space for it to go to the left, however, I haven't been able to jam it in, nor do I want to. That being said, I haven't been able to mimic since I cycled it through high to low and back to high. I've been driving in circles, the same way I have before when it would bang, and there is no bang. Could it be possible by shifting thru it may have been locked/seized before and it's now released? I mean it's a night and day difference when turning. I'll take it for a spin later and see if it does it in parking lots when parking, that's where it would occur.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:06 PM, Bowie69 said:

I don't think they made Defenders in 1995 with a V8, so that is quite the possibility. In which case it could have a Range Rover Classic drivetrain, and have a Borg Warner transfer box, which being a viscous coupling has no left/right on the transfer box lever....

Confirming that would be a big head start.

If it is a BW box then it will depend on where the noise is coming from -if under the seatbox then it could be the chain slipping in the box, if from the front axle, then as above a CV or similar is out, or perhaps the viscous unit is seized and causing the front wheels to skid on paved surfaces, or it could be that and the fact the viscous has failed has knocked out a CV as well. 

Lots of options, need to confirm box(es) first -saying that reminded me, is it manual or auto.....?

That was my thought too.  A photo of the transmission would answer that possibility.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:47 PM, Lexguru said:

Hey guys, a quick update. I removed the shift boot and saw that the shift is all the way to the right. There is space for it to go to the left, however, I haven't been able to jam it in, nor do I want to. That being said, I haven't been able to mimic since I cycled it through high to low and back to high. I've been driving in circles, the same way I have before when it would bang, and there is no bang. Could it be possible by shifting thru it may have been locked/seized before and it's now released? I mean it's a night and day difference when turning. I'll take it for a spin later and see if it does it in parking lots when parking, that's where it would occur.

Yes, it is entirely possible that you had some diff wind up that was released by selecting low.  If you have an LT230, though, you really ought to be able to move the small stick across a small amount, around 1”, to engage the diff lock.  It should be selectable in all positions; high, neutral and low (which is why the gate is imprinted on the knob as an “8”).