Discovery 300tdi

Anglo-Frenchman

Hi.  I’ve had around 10 or 11 Land Rovers over the last 35 years and currently run a TDV6 D4. Much as I love the D4, favourite LR was my 300tdi Disco 2 which I ran in the UK and France. Setting aside the obvious cost issues, does anyone know whether it is actually possible to buy a ‘new’ 300tdi D2 anymore? Or one that has been completely re-built or built from scratch? Can they be bought to order from anywhere? An interesting proposition. 

13 hours ago, Daan said:

Assuming the OP means a facelifted Discovery 1 rather than a Discovery 2 (which I assume he does - I'm not aware of the Discovery 2 ever being fitted with the 300Tdi - unless it was a ROW spec?).

8 minutes ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Assuming the OP means a facelifted Discovery 1 rather than a Discovery 2 (which I assume he does - I'm not aware of the Discovery 2 ever being fitted with the 300Tdi - unless it was a ROW spec?).

I don't think they ever did a ROW spec D2, but seen several retrofitted with 300tdis.

The OP may mean one of the 300Tdi converted D2's - there are a reasonable few about, along with M51 and OM605 conversions

Ben Stowe up at Black Paw 4x4 did a few https://www.blackpaw4x4.co.uk/author/ben-stowe/

There was also a company in Dorset, but I can't remeber their name - wasn't that impressed with the quality either

Hmm......

IF it was me, and the Td5 was to be evicted from the engine bay, I'm not sure a 300 Tdi would be my choice for the replacement.

What's wrong with the Td5 as a powerplant ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

Hmm......

IF it was me, and the Td5 was to be evicted from the engine bay, I'm not sure a 300 Tdi would be my choice for the replacement.

What's wrong with the Td5 as a powerplant ?

The M51 would probably be the easiest - more so than the M57 - and arguably a better engine. I would probably opt for the OM605, with a mechanical pump off the OM662, again for simplicity. However the OM612 is rather sexy...  I like simple though. It keeps working. As you say, why change the TD5? It's pros and cons are well known and documented. Parts aren't stupid money. It's been proven to do big mileages when cared for. It's really not that complicated.

Parts are less well made than they were - some big problems with OE lifters, for example.  But that's par for the course.  Out of the box, the Disco TD5 is one of the best vehicles land rover ever produced. Very little needs to be done to make it tow well, drive off tarmac well, carry a family and all their kit for two weeks holiday, general run about. 

Ive driven two 300 converted D2's. One was a Black Paw vehicle, fitted with a tuned 2.5 300Tdi. It was nice. At the time I had a 51 plate D2 auto, tuned by IRB Developments. I liked the converted vehicle. It was good. But it didn't set the world alight. My D2 was a blast. The difference in power train is just huge.  The other conversion was by the company in Dorset. It isn't worth talking about.

23 hours ago, Daan said:

Thanks guys - yes this looks really nice. And for clarification, I did mean the facelift version of the Mk 1 not the D2 - always confused me a little! I've had Td5s and loved them too but there was always something about the simplicity of the 200 and 300Tdi motors that I really liked. Now if I could just get it shipped to New Zealand....!  

I know there are some nice low mileage examples out there but I'd be looking for a 'new' Discovery - as in fully rebuilt with a zero km motor & running gear. 

Edited by Anglo-Frenchman

11 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Epic turbo lag though - a 300TDi is much more drivable at low speeds, even if the M51 is smoother and more powerful once it gets spooled up.

Is there any engine that is perfect? But the M51 is still probably the easiest no genuine conversion.  It's actually only a bit more powerful than standard. So much smoother.

12 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Is there any engine that is perfect? But the M51 is still probably the easiest no genuine conversion.  It's actually only a bit more powerful than standard. So much smoother.

I'm quite sure there isn't!

Ignoring smoothness (the M51 wins that by a country mile), I'd say most of the difference is in where in their rev range the two engines perform best. The M51 has more at the top end - it feels quicker at higher road speeds, whereas the 300TDi is far more flexible at low revs.

How much objective difference there actually is is another matter...

• Like 1

For off road use, I'd say the TGV, the 2.8 version of the 300 TDI would be close to the description. very good torque even at tick over is to me the main point.

For road use, there are better options for sure as have been mentioned previously.

• Like 1