Ground anchor blade

muddy

I have recently acquired this ground anchor however as you might be able to tell its missing a rather crucial part! As I don't have one to copy does anyone have a suggested size for a new blade? It doesn't really need to be super light although it would be handy if I can carry it on the moor without sinking up to my knackers.

IMG_5286.thumb.jpeg.23d1d5b6f31b02ad46e8f4d189d09124.jpeg

Just now, David Sparkes said:

If I recall correctly, the items made by a forum member had the blade made from a 'lighter but stronger' steel. Lightness being a relative term.

Apart from that faded recollection, I haven't found any relevant information.

Regards.

The X-Eng one is Domex 700MC from memory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was making them for a while for the winch comp guys..... I was making my blades from 3mm Bis (400) with a 10 degree fold, no one ever told me of a failure 
The blade size is dependent on truck weight and ground conditions.... bigger the truck and softer the conditions (except pumice) the bigger the blade (sorry I don't have the old design files they were back when I had access to AutoCad, I lost access and didn't think i'd be able to access them so didn't bother saving them) I think the smaller blades were 200mm wide and the Saf/Cruiser ones were 350mm wide ...... for peat bogs and sand I'd recomend the wider one 

• Like 1

This may be of no you but looks very much like a Devon 4x4 so if you wanted to buy one they could probably provide one. But you would probably rather make one. 

Anyway the point of my post is having used these a friend modified his so it dug In a lot better as the standard anchor tends to struggle to bite to begin with. He had welded a ground anchor pin the length of the blade in the centre which gave a good sharp point which helped initial bite