Non running 3.9v8 engine - what parts are worth selling to recoup costs?

reb78

I have a 3.9v8 engine i bought for a project. It was a non starter and its not something I want to throw any money at. The front cylinder on the left bank has had water in it. The valves had seized on that cylinder and push rods bent. 

Whats worth trying to sell off of it to recoup some money and free up some space? I don't know the history. I was sold it by someone else who had bought it and had been told it was running. There was an auto box attached to it to that I could sell but again dont know the history. 

If the box fluid is red and clean, then probably fine, and worth maybe £100.

The engine can be sold as a whole without ancillaries 'needs rebuild' for £50-100 depending on which version it is, and someone will have it off you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

I am 😂 

Haha. Well, the engine was complete when I bought it. I dont know v8s so maybe send me a list of what might be useful to you and I can pick out the bits and send you some photos to confirm its all there? I really dont know what any of it is worth. 

On 10/14/2022 at 8:37 AM, Bowie69 said:

If the box fluid is red and clean, then probably fine, and worth maybe £100.

The engine can be sold as a whole without ancillaries 'needs rebuild' for £50-100 depending on which version it is, and someone will have it off you.

Cool. I think both autos had nice red fluid. Will sell them honestly as untested. 

I have a d2 R380 knocking around too but that is just worthy of an exchange for rebuild as the layshaft bearings have gone. 

On 10/14/2022 at 8:10 AM, western said:

Speak to Barney at Cornish landrover wreckers in the Bugle area, so not to far from you. 

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057477187896 

Wasnt sure he would be interested. Having said that, he did tell me recently that his cheapest v8 in stock was around £750, untested and missing some of the ancilliaries!

All this may be worth more than you think. The engine complete will probably fetch £100 - £150, but sell it in bits and you will get a lot more if you are prepared to post it. Most people nowadays are too bone idle to travel, so if it can be posted, you will get more.  

Is it a vee belt or serpentine engine ? If its a serpentine engine with a distributor, the front end bits are sought after. Injection system and manifold are still sought after, probably £150 or more, exhaust manifolds, engine mount brackets still sell, I have just sold a pair of cast exhausts for £40.

Can even sell the block for a coffee table project. All depends if you can be bothered.

If the autoboxes are not electronic, they will sell for £200 plus complete with TC, electronic ones a lot less.