Engine blocks

Just a quick one here chaps, is a 19j block the same as 200tdi block, apparently the cranks are the same I've read, a different part number! But was there a change in the 19j block somewhere through its life, I know there's a good and bad 19j, I've got the engine number cusp from bad to good somewhere but god only knows where I wrote it down, so could I use a bare good 19j block to build into a 200, I've got to have clear out, and if they are not compatible they'll have to go, cheer guys 

They aren’t the same and you can’t put a Tdi head on a 19J block because the Tdi head oil feed is internal while the 19J’s is external.  The water jacket holes may differ too.  The compression ratio is less on the Tdi, which could be achieved by shorter pistons, shorter rods or a taller block - I don’t know which they used.

If you can’t use the blocks, then talk to Turner Engineering or ACR - they may be able to use them and might give you some cash.  Even if they don’t want to pay for them, if you give them away, it might save someone else’s LR down the line, rather than being smelted or just rusting away in a scrap yard.

• Like 2

I gave my old 19j block to Turners for the reason above. Better than scrapping. I even dropped it off. What amused me was the suspicion with which they regarded me for what i was doing - when i said i didnt want anything other than to recycle the engine they pretty much asked 'well what DO you want...?'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, reb78 said:

I gave my old 19j block to Turners for the reason above. Better than scrapping. I even dropped it off. What amused me was the suspicion with which they regarded me for what i was doing - when i said i didnt want anything other than to recycle the engine they pretty much asked 'well what DO you want...?'

That's funny, I can imagine them down there being like that, but that aint a bad shout either, if I get a chance I'll run them over to them they are only 30 miles from me

Thanks once again gentlemen for getting back to me, been a great help

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, reb78 said:

Funny, but also sad.

36 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Funny, but also sad.

Agree. To be fair, as I left, having asked for nothing, they did say remind us who you are if you buy from us in future. I have bought bits from them but haven't worried them for a favour. Shame Frida doesnt post on here anymore. 

• Like 2

I suppose it is sad in a funny sort of way, but if I never see another 19j won't be, bloody things, I think that's how I ended up on this forum, pulling my hair out as to why a fully rebuilt engine was still giving me any amount of grief.

I will go and see Turner's they are good at what they do, no shadow of a doubt, but on the prices they charge and with the greatest respect I'll take every discount they'll give me, all the the best Reb, I'll keep you posted on how I get on, meanwhile if anyone knows anyone who wants any 19j bits, theres 3 blocks, 2 heads and any amount of paraphernalia to go with them, all free to collector or I did notice someone said a contribution to the forum on something I read, Folkestone it is chaps, your welcome,

• Like 1

Just for the record I spoke to Turners today, they dont want the blocks, apparently they have a rake of them, they'll take the cylinder heads when I'm passing, I've asked a couple of local 4x4 mechanics around here, no interest either, so I suppose that is quite sad, I know they were a menace those 19js but an end of an era I suppose, all the best

• Like 1

1 has been taken, there's still 2 here if anyone wants them, and an N/A block aswell, they'll be going for scrap a week today, need the space and speaking to the people I know there's a general aim toward the 200 and 300s for obvious reasons I suppose.

Shame to see them scrapped, but if Turners can’t use any more of them, at least you tried.  I’m surprised at the lack of interest, as they are a good platform for rebuilding any of the 5mb engines prior to the Tdi - they accept the heads and most other parts from all of them.

If you have the crank pulley available from one, that’d be a big benefit to me!