200tdi air filter boxes

Just a quick one here guys, I've just got a air filter box but it differs a bit from the one I'm using, it will fit where my one is now but in the picture the one sat on the wing of my car should it have an end cover like my one in the my car, if that makes sense

20230304_114356.jpg

20230304_114420.jpg

Your engine and existing filter housing (and the plastic elbow onto the compressor feed hose) are from a Discovery.  The “new” filter housing looks to me like the Defender version.  They were plumbed in with very different hoses and pipes, and their orientation differed.

Thanks guys, and Western I realise about the drain there is a hole underneath for that purpose, I should of probably blanked the top hole off but didn't for what ever reason, thank you both for getting back

• Like 2

Sorry guys, if I've read this right there a conflict of opinion here, I've been through all the books I have here, Google til I'm blue in the face and thought I'd got it, but Smallfry what your saying is the one in the picture sat on my wing is the disco one, yes? I'm not questioning you, I want to know, others are saying different if I've got this right, if anyone has a part number for the one that is actually on my wagon now would be handy, thanks for your input Smallfry

Right I'm going to chime in here.

The filter on the wing (first picture) is a 200tdi discovery unit with an after market filter in it (genuine the top is black to match the housing). I think the very early 200 disco had a different housing like the second picture but can't remember exactly.

The second picture looks the same as the housing I have on my ibex which I believe is a 200 defender unit though it's mounted in, close to the 300 position (300 has the feed to the turbo going around the back of the engine).

Mike

This is the problem with converted vehicles.  200Tdi Defenders had the intake in the left wing and the air filter was mounted on a slant inside the forward left wing void.  300s have a right hand side intake and a filter housing mounted on a cradle above the fuel injection pump, not far from where yours is mounted.  So, you have a bit of a hybrid.  It’s likely that yours is not in the 200 position because of the Discovery manifolds and turbo being inverted compared to the Defender engine, so the hoses couldn’t be made to fit easily.  As long as it works correctly, I would continue to use what is fitted.  I have the left side intake feeding a 12J/19J filter with the same Discover 90 degree plastic housing to hose adapter you have running directly to the turbo intake.  Not ideal, perhaps, but it does the job well and was a carry-over from running a 12J.  It’d be much more work than is worthwhile to update it, and would result in a lot more hoses and pipes running around the engine bay.  As long as you know what you have for future parts replacement, then why worry?  

The filter in the first photo is not missing an end -plate.  The silver end cap is the base of the filter cartridge itself, so gets renewed.  The edge has a rubber seal that fits into the flared lip of the canister.  I don’t think that either unit has a significant advantage over the other, so use whichever you prefer or whichever fits best.

It does work well on mine, and to be honest I wasn't paying Steve Parker prices, but it would still be handy to get a part number for the one that's in mine, if anybody knows it, Western sent me a link but it doesn't seem to show the one I actually have

Reckon yours is the Discovery 200tdi housing then in the 2nd link, to get part number click on the item number & it should put the part number below the diagram or just go to the LRCAT website. 

Edited by western
Part number added

Discovery/RR 200, Defender 200 and Defender 300 for comparison.  Note the Discovery canister has the drain and intake on the different sides of the canister, not both pointing downwards, unlike the two Defender versions.

The exposed end plate type filter unit didn’t show up on the search.  I saw an EFI filter of the same type, but the intake neck didn’t match that on your canister.  I’m not sure what you have there.

5DB85C5C-7389-4B24-BF97-3081B2A96F9F.png

8C111EBF-4601-465E-A5F6-54A277051F85.png

E1BBCC69-4E14-417B-951E-D195CA1FBCD8.png

• Like 1

Thank you muddy, what discovery 2 or something? Snagger and Western sent me link to the one I'm using, I think I'm finally where I wanted to be with it, didn't think I'd get done in by an air filter housing, thanks again

I can absolutely guarantee the the picture of the air box on your wing is a late model 200tdi discovery. The lid to the box is part of the filter. ESR1050 is the box and ESR 1049 is the filter

I think early 200tdi discovery had a different one very similar to defender style where the filter is inside the canister with a separate lid. I can't find a part no even in the lr manual but it does list a filter NTC 1435, which is the same style as defender IE separate lid.

Mike

• Like 2

Nice one Mike, that's handy aswell other than the number you've given, I've now got ESR0370, ESR2102 and ESR3286 the one that Snagger and Western sent says 530170 which is the right picture in a drawing but can't seem to get a photo up of my one anywhere, getting my t/t$ to be honest