where can I buy...?

Nonimouse

I was struggling to find spares for some bilstein shocks some time back - and in the end emailed them directly, they were incredibly helpful and sold them to me directly for not a lot of money ……. Might be worth dropping them a line? 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Thread revival, holy Batman, etc etc.

@Nonimouse just wondering why you didn't want B6s? I'm looking to upgrade my shocks as I am tired of the crashy ride, so interested in your experiences.

I was going with OME until I read they can be harsh. I just wish either of them came in black...

On 12/26/2023 at 6:26 PM, ThreePointFive said:

Thread revival, holy Batman, etc etc.

@Nonimouse just wondering why you didn't want B6s? I'm looking to upgrade my shocks as I am tired of the crashy ride, so interested in your experiences.

I was going with OME until I read they can be harsh. I just wish either of them came in black...

Since OME moved shock manufacturing to Chinashire, the shocks are definitely not as good. Interestingly the original OME shocks were made by Monroe

I've fitted a lot of B6's to vehicles over the last ten years or so and I don't rate them they are simply not what I would expect from a Billie. 

I've been looking at Koni heavy track recently.

Problem is that the Raw 4x4 Shocks I'm running have lasted 10 years of Abuse and are still better than most shocks I've used/fitted over the years. I want that kind of quality and reliability

• Like 1

Fox ifp's are hard to beat in terms of ride and not that expensive:

https://www.prolinx.biz/Catalogue/Shock-Absorbers/Truck-SUV/Land-Rover-Shocks/985-24-080-Landrover-PS-Front-2-Lift

I have bent the shafts on full suspension travel though, due to the rubber bushes being very stiff (pin to pin mounting). I would buy them again, but run a spherical at the bottom.

18 minutes ago, Daan said:

Fox ifp's are hard to beat in terms of ride and not that expensive:

https://www.prolinx.biz/Catalogue/Shock-Absorbers/Truck-SUV/Land-Rover-Shocks/985-24-080-Landrover-PS-Front-2-Lift

I have bent the shafts on full suspension travel though, due to the rubber bushes being very stiff (pin to pin mounting). I would buy them again, but run a spherical at the bottom.

Sadly, we have different interpretations of 'not expensive'. £800 is way out of budget

OME would be £400 for all the corners, so would Billies. Monroe adventure £240 and Koni 320

I'm thinking that as a 'service replaceable shock' the Terrafirm Big Bore shocks would be ok (£270) as I do know a few people that use them as comp safari shocks on budget racers

3 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I've fitted a lot of B6's to vehicles over the last ten years or so and I don't rate them they are simply not what I would expect from a Billie. 

Ah bololocks. Made a decision on them shortly after Christmas (boredom + payday) so we'll see if I come to regret it. £290 from paddocks so not terrible. 

My current Armstrongs are just unworkable on anything other than smooth roads or off road where it doesn't matter. Any improvement is good.

I remember you were impressed with my Gaz shocks a decade ago but I daren't take the chance they could accidentally assemble another good set for the £5.25 they're asking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

rubbish

Was this an autoreplace by the forum? I assume you aren't saying Dave is talking rubbish, that would be most out of character for you ;) 

You have ridden in a car with B6s, my Audi coupe...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

Ah bololocks. Made a decision on them shortly after Christmas (boredom + payday) so we'll see if I come to regret it. £290 from paddocks so not terrible. 

My current Armstrongs are just unworkable on anything other than smooth roads or off road where it doesn't matter. Any improvement is good.

I remember you were impressed with my Gaz shocks a decade ago but I daren't take the chance they could accidentally assemble another good set for the £5.25 they're asking. 

That's a really good price though. Cheap enough to replace as a service item in a few years

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Was this an autoreplace by the forum? I assume you aren't saying Dave is talking rubbish, that would be most out of character for you ;) 

You have ridden in a car with B6s, my Audi coupe...

It was, I have made the appropriate corrections! I thought censors were there to make posts less offensive...

Your Audi rode very well, though that being a sports car makes me nervous. The pitching of a 90 might be even more pronounced with stiff/sports shocks. 

We can only wait and see. There are another Bilstein set that is £400ish, I think they were standard fitment on one of the LR special edition. If these don't work, I will go that way. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

For reference, you also drove LGT off road, and that is on Terrafirma TF179, but set on maximum soft. 

They may be a bit firm, but does feel pretty controlled in most circumstances. 

Let's hope the B6s work out for you. 

So do the TF adjustable shocks actually adjust?

14 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

So do the TF adjustable shocks actually adjust?

They appear to, 4 stage.... softest was probably still too firm, like I said above, I'm waiting for them to wear out a bit and then they will be better, maybe ;) 

13 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

They appear to, 4 stage.... softest was probably still too firm, like I said above, I'm waiting for them to wear out a bit and then they will be better, maybe ;) 

If fitted to a vehicle that's much lardier than the LGT, then it might work reasonably...hmmm