Faulty temperature gauge.

So the 90 has according to the gauge been running hot for the last few weeks, just under the red.

Tuesday, the gauge goes  to the top of the red, so let the 90 cool, turn the ignition on and the gauge goes to the top of the red.

Unplug the temp sender and the gauge still goes straight to red.

Not being an electrical genius, I am surmising a faulty gauge.

Now unless I have missed something, it's time to order a new gauge.

Now do I go for an original or something after market that has the temp in numbers rather than white and red?

Do I order a new sender, just to be safe?

Any answers suggestions welcome.

The 90 is like triggers broom.

1993 200tdi model with a 1994 Discovery 3.9efi with auto box.

New radiator with twin electric fans, which didn't come on but I know are working.

1 hour ago, landrovermanuk said:

Unplug the temp sender and the gauge still goes straight to red.

If this is happening I'd check the wire from the sender back to where it enters the wrapped main loom for bare copper - full deflection on the gauge is equivalent to earthing the wire. 

If nothing is found then take the dash panel out enough to remove the sender wire from the back of the gauge and try it again.

No gauge movement = faulty sender wire and gauge still in red = bad gauge. 

Buy a cheap laser thermometer to keep in the dash/cubby box to get a more accurate reading.

Steve 

13 minutes ago, steve b said:

If this is happening I'd check the wire from the sender back to where it enters the wrapped main loom for bare copper - full deflection on the gauge is equivalent to earthing the wire. 

If nothing is found then take the dash panel out enough to remove the sender wire from the back of the gauge and try it again.

No gauge movement = faulty sender wire and gauge still in red = bad gauge. 

Buy a cheap laser thermometer to keep in the dash/cubby box to get a more accurate reading.

Steve 

I have a laser thermometer, that's how I know the engine isn't overheating, as I checked when I got home from the mot test.

Will go and check the wiring.

55 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Is the current temp sender a 200TDI? i.e. is it matched? I'm not100%, but I think the V8 senders are not the same as TDI so won't ever read correctly.

Not sure, not had a problem until recently. 

The conversation was done nearly 20 years ago by Frogs Island. 

From what I can see there are two senders, one is identfor the v8 and 300tdi, the other I think is different, but I didn't realise there were two until a little while ago.

Thank you

Edited by landrovermanuk

Did you change the stat?

LR changed gauges & senders to match the "normal" running temp of the engines too, there's even a "tropical climates" temp sender part #...

I got bored faffing with mine and fitted a VDO Vision gauge & sender as it felt more reliable than the LR one and gives me a number in degrees.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just been out and turned the ignition on.

No movement from the guage, so going to take her for a test drive later and see what the guage does.

Thinking about adding a totally stand alone guage and in hose sensor as a back up regardless of what I have to do to the original.

Also wondering about a separate engine monitoring system as water temp is the only way I currently have of monitoring the engine.

On 4/22/2023 at 6:18 PM, Peaklander said:

Is the fuel gauge working OK? Just wondering about 0V / earth connections.

Yes, it's fine.

The test drive showed no movement from the temp gauge even when hot.

So gone from red hot with ignition on to nothing.

Unfortunately due to work, not going to get a chance to look at it for a couple of weeks. 

I'll report back. 😁

• 3 months later...

After months of procrastination, finally had a proper look.

Earth behind the clocks appears to be good according to my circuit tester.

Unplugging the sensor does nothing to change the actions of the temp gauge and as far as I could see, the wiring is fine.

When the ignition was left on, the gauge would go from cold to off the scale and then slowly sink down before climbing back of the chart.

So my conclusion using the above advice is to order a new gauge as I want this sorted before the LRO show as it's a above 140 miles each way.

Thank you for all your input.

i fitted a tim gauge and sender to my 110 v8 and swapped out the std gauge in my other 110 that i've put a 300 in for a generic gauge in degrees from evilbay
i did do a quick test in hot water to see how it t read and all seemed about right to a digital thermometer

On 8/13/2023 at 6:42 PM, ped said:

i fitted a tim gauge and sender to my 110 v8 and swapped out the std gauge in my other 110 that i've put a 300 in for a generic gauge in degrees from evilbay
i did do a quick test in hot water to see how it t read and all seemed about right to a digital thermometer

Thanks, will have a look...👍

I take it the sender is 1/8 NPT?

i didn't check the thread with a gauge i just pulled the one from my 300 and fitted the one that came with the gauge from evil bay, i have the old 300 one so i can check it with an npt die
on the v8 i'm not sure as it was 2006 when i did it

• 2 weeks later...

I take it the sender is 1/8 NPT?

Sorry for the late reply, work has been hectic over the last few weeks.

I purchased a TIM temperature gauge with sender and didn't require an adapter,  just screwed right in.

The gauge seems to be sitting at about 80°on a short warm up.

Got the day off tomorrow, so eill take it for a quick run.

On a side not, not paying attention, pulled the ECU sender out by mistake, as I unplugged it, on of the wires snapped,  so that now has new connectors on it too.

Fingers crossed that's the end of that saga, just a couple of minor jobs at the weekend ready for the 140 mile trip to the LRO Show.

I know I have been rather absent from my own thread but I have really appreciated the advice given by you guys...🙂🙏