300 Tdi Engine Removal

Hi Folks,

Looking for some bright ideas in order to support the bell housing/gearbox when removing our 300 Tdi engine.

Challenge is that we do not have much room back/forth in the garage when the door is closed. As such, there is not enough room to hoist the engine and extract forwards through the radiator space without hitting the back wall.

Thinking that if we were able to support the bell housing/gearbox while still allowing the Defender to be pushed back and forth, we'd then be able to lift the engine, push the Defender back, get it onto an engine stand, move sideways and then push the Defender back in again to allow us to close the garage door.

Thanks in advance,

Simon...

I have had success in the past by putting a bar through the front anti-rollbar mounts and then a block of timber up to the engine block. Not sure if that would line up with the bellhousing on a 300Tdi though?

Alternatively, a stout bar or piece of timber across the seats and then some rope or a strap down through the hole under the middle seat/cubby and around the box might do the job? 

I may have just removed the engine a couple of times in the past... 😬

As long as It isn't for years I beleive you Will be ok, but offcourse it is better to support it. A piece of wood between box and the crossmember under the gearbox should do.

/mads