Engraving a new chassis with a new VIN number

I bought a Defender 90 and stupidly got a new galvanised chassis before sending the V62 and requesting a new log book (the vehicle came without one).

The DVLA have been a nightmare for about 4 months but have finally agreed to allow me to keep the reg plate if I get a new VIN number which they will provide printed on the chassis.

Does anyone know of any companies who can do this for me? 

I am located in North Wales

23 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I bought a set of number/letter punches and stamped in the DVLA supplied vin on my ibex myself. I think I took photos of it to send off with the registration paperwork but mine had been seen by the IVA man by then anyway.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I will do that. Fingers crossed 🤞 

I did as @miketomcat and stamped my own chassis number in.  Worth checking the IVA manual for the minimum size of letters, can't remember.

Have they told you whether you will need to go for an IVA with your new chassis number, my tester told me a horror story of a series 3 having to be put through IVA because of a misunderstanding between owner and DVSA.  Requirement for E identified components can be an expensive experience.

56 minutes ago, Ibex94 said:

I did as @miketomcat and stamped my own chassis number in.  Worth checking the IVA manual for the minimum size of letters, can't remember.

Have they told you whether you will need to go for an IVA with your new chassis number, my tester told me a horror story of a series 3 having to be put through IVA because of a misunderstanding between owner and DVSA.  Requirement for E identified components can be an expensive experience.

@Ibex94 I was just told I need to send a picture of the printed VIN on the chassis and then it’s a straightforward approval as the chassis that it was replaced with is to the exact specification of the original chassis. I provided receipts and photos to prove it. Good advice on the size of the letters. Where would I look for this? Do you have a link?

From memory the IVA manual says 6mm which is what mine is but I would recommend copying land rover which is around 8-10mm because mine is difficult to read. Unfortunately this size is difficult to find and more expensive, you might be able to find a garage that does chassis swaps that has some you can borrow or will do it for you. Whatever you do practice first as they need quite a wack and it's easy to get them back to front or upsidedown.

Mike

19 hours ago, Lockylockwood said:

@Ibex94 I was just told I need to send a picture of the printed VIN on the chassis and then it’s a straightforward approval as the chassis that it was replaced with is to the exact specification of the original chassis. I provided receipts and photos to prove it. Good advice on the size of the letters. Where would I look for this? Do you have a link?

Here you go.  Read the required standard column from 7.  Enjoy.

Image25-07-2023at18_07.thumb.jpeg.bb60722fcb5eb535eec7c2203f8e72cf.jpeg

Image25-07-2023at18_06.thumb.jpeg.ac427ac3e754033d889d83be879f0c57.jpeg

Image25-07-2023at18_07.thumb.jpeg.a0fff4c95627b05dccfbf4034bff2b83.jpeg

14 hours ago, miketomcat said:

From memory the IVA manual says 6mm which is what mine is but I would recommend copying land rover which is around 8-10mm because mine is difficult to read. Unfortunately this size is difficult to find and more expensive, you might be able to find a garage that does chassis swaps that has some you can borrow or will do it for you. Whatever you do practice first as they need quite a wack and it's easy to get them back to front or upsidedown.

Mike

Cheers mate. Highly appreciated 

If the VIN is on the plate riveted to brake pedal assembly top cover, then there is no need to stamp the chassis or involve dvla, my galv chassis isn't stamped but I do have the VIN stampede section from my original chassis & the receipt for the new chassis 

• Like 1