Help with newbie questions on 1983 110 rebuild in New Zealand (should be easy questions!) 1 x exhaust manifold and 1 x earth terminal

A couple of questions.....

1/ Just refitting loom to firewall and there is an earth terminal on the the engine side, cleaned paint off the freshly painted firewall, found a small bolt that I thought was going into a rivnut but it just stripped what was there, does this earth terminal location have an anchor nut within the firewall cavity or is it simply a screw threaded into the firewall steel, I was not involved with removing the loom but I have found pictures where it just looks like it is a slotted self tapping screw? small detail I know but if it originally had a anchor nut that would make for a much better earth point, if it was just a self tapper then I'll just up the size of the screw, there is no access to the rear side. I cant find any detail in the parts catalog which leads me to think its just threaded into the sheet steel of the firewall with nothing trick behind it

image.thumb.png.5422a4f50d5ff9323f81252d6f131fb1.png

2/ Purchased a new exhaust system locally but bought a few other exhaust mounting spares from Paddock, one of the things we purchased was a copper seal which from the parts manual showed as required between the manifold and LH and RH V8 downpipes, the downpipes have the flared ends and I think the round copper seals are designed for a different set up, can someone confirm the round copper seals are not required with these manifolds and downpipes and the rounded end of the downpipe just snugs up into the manifold and clamps in place. Downpipes shown below with the copper washers which I think are not needed. The new downpipes are the same profile as the original ones removed from the manifolds. 

image.png.64e6d6cbb7b4a013c35e934f4a277927.png

Thanks.....hopefully a couple of easy questions

Stu

Edited by MacStu

2 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Feels like a rivnut would solve your earth point problem pretty nicely to me, and stop you worrying about it stripping out again?

Thanks for the reply...dont have a rivnut tool and was hoping for the 'its just a self tapper' reply...unfortunately being an aircraft engineer I overthink everything! 

That's where the fuel filter sits on the diesel variant and yes it's rivnuted to the bulkhead.

IMAG1429.jpg.d7221ae9cfb2fc3cf45aa856f6114b79.jpg

Ours is a 1983 2.25 diesel (now 200tdi) the filt housing is different from the original but in the same place. The earth on ours is a little further over on the glow plug coil from memory.

Mike

• Like 1

I put a rivnut in mine for the earth's also. I think the copper rings were for the downpipe that had an inner tube with a bell end around it, the downpipe with the mushroomed ends don't usually have any gaskets. I use the later 3.9 disco manifolds with the twin outlets, they are a lot better flowing then the originals. 

• Like 1

LR tended to use self tapper for earths, but it was always a crappy bodge and led to a lot of problems for owners down the line.  You’ll be glad for doing it properly.

I’ve not seen copper rings for exhaust pipes before.  I’d trial fit them and if it’s easy to get the nuts onto the manifold studs, I’d probably used them.  They may increase the possibility of some mild leaks as everything beds in and they compress a little, so I’d nip the nuts up again after a few hundred miles and the next few services to be sure.

On 10/15/2023 at 7:31 PM, Paul C said:

I put a rivnut in mine for the earth's also. I think the copper rings were for the downpipe that had an inner tube with a bell end around it, the downpipe with the mushroomed ends don't usually have any gaskets. I use the later 3.9 disco manifolds with the twin outlets, they are a lot better flowing then the originals. 

Yeah your right.....the parts book showed the rings so we ordered them but obviously for a different setup, ours are lined up and ready to tighten up, threads on the studs pretty dodgy so hopefully they will tightened

On 10/16/2023 at 1:38 AM, Snagger said:

LR tended to use self tapper for earths, but it was always a crappy bodge and led to a lot of problems for owners down the line.  You’ll be glad for doing it properly.

I’ve not seen copper rings for exhaust pipes before.  I’d trial fit them and if it’s easy to get the nuts onto the manifold studs, I’d probably used them.  They may increase the possibility of some mild leaks as everything beds in and they compress a little, so I’d nip the nuts up again after a few hundred miles and the next few services to be sure.

On 10/16/2023 at 1:38 AM, Snagger said:

No self tappers on the Aircraft I work on so no self tappers for earths on the LR, rivnut worked out well. Discarded the coppers washers, just not supposed to be there....

• Like 1