Cwp ratio

Ashleigh

Hello,

I have a question and wondered if someone could help.

I have a discovery 2 td5 running 285/75/16. Currently the speedo is out by a few mph obviously due to tyre size. 

I am in the process of having some diffs built by Nige at xcess 4x4. We have discussed changing the CWP to 3.75 ratio.  The question I have will this alter the speedo and make it out by more? 

Is the speedo run via the abs ring on the hub?

Thanks for your help Ash. 

Short answer yes. The speedo takes its measurement from the back of the transfer box so it "doesn't know" about any changes downstream of it - basically tyres and diffs.

Larger tyres should make the speedo "over read" a little as for the same revolution of the transfer box the vehicle travels a little further. Going from a 3.54 to 3.75 means that the transfer box how has to turn the propshaft a little bit more to achieve one revolution of the wheels so should cause the speedo to "under read" slightly.

If you want more precise answers it's some basic maths.

• Like 1

Just to add - you can get different speedo drive gears for the transfer box so you can (usually) swap that and bring the speedo "close enough" to being correct.

Item #16 on this diagram: https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-transfer-box/transfer-box-lt230/rear-flange_53758#18

FRC3310 - Gear-speedometer drive, Blue, 20 Teeth
FRC3311 - Gear-speedometer drive, Green, 21 teeth     
FRC3312 - Gear-speedometer drive, Yellow, 22 teeth     
FRC3313 - Gear-speedometer drive, Red, 23 Teeth

etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Short answer yes. The speedo takes its measurement from the back of the transfer box so it "doesn't know" about any changes downstream of it - basically tyres and diffs.

Larger tyres should make the speedo "over read" a little as for the same revolution of the transfer box the vehicle travels a little further. Going from a 3.54 to 3.75 means that the transfer box how has to turn the propshaft a little bit more to achieve one revolution of the wheels so should cause the speedo to "under read" slightly.

If you want more precise answers it's some basic maths.

Hi Ed

Thanks for the reply. Are you sure about this on a discovery 2, I was searching the other day trying to get answers and it says the speedo is run of the hubs and abs on a d2. I know the discovery 1 200tdi and 300tdi are run from the transfer box and you can  change for different drive gears. 

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Just to add - you can get different speedo drive gears for the transfer box so you can (usually) swap that and bring the speedo "close enough" to being correct.

Item #16 on this diagram: https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-transfer-box/transfer-box-lt230/rear-flange_53758#18

FRC3310 - Gear-speedometer drive, Blue, 20 Teeth
FRC3311 - Gear-speedometer drive, Green, 21 teeth     
FRC3312 - Gear-speedometer drive, Yellow, 22 teeth     
FRC3313 - Gear-speedometer drive, Red, 23 Teeth

etc.

Hi FridgeFreezer,

I was lead to belive this was just on the old discovery's and defenders as the speedo runs off the transfer box but apparently discovery 2 td5 and not the same. I was searching the other day and it I belive it is through the Abs on the hub so I'm hoping it won't make any difference changing the CWP to 3.75.