Head lining,

How I'd look at it, I'd probably look for some temperature stable material, like some abs plastic sheet or something and some hi quality glue, make a patch and then try put a infill section to bring it up to the sane depth as the thickness of the base material.

Depending on your new liner covering they will bridge small joints like that as long as you don't push it down too hard to allow it to form to the joint.

Or tidy up the circles and make features of them... I.e. no need to in fill them.

16 hours ago, Maverik said:

How I'd look at it, I'd probably look for some temperature stable material, like some abs plastic sheet or something and some hi quality glue, make a patch and then try put a infill section to bring it up to the sane depth as the thickness of the base material.

Depending on your new liner covering they will bridge small joints like that as long as you don't push it down too hard to allow it to form to the joint.

Or tidy up the circles and make features of them... I.e. no need to in fill them.

No they got to go they look absolutely awful, 

Ok thank you .

I had to repair a crumbled section of my front headlining as leaks over time had weakened it too much. I used hardboard and fibreglass and was very happy with it.

You could put a backing piece behind the hole, and build it up with resin/matting.

I used it because I had the materials to hand from a boat repair, and I had some experience working with it so it was a good option for me. Just a suggestion for what it’s worth.

8 hours ago, Northwards said:

I had to repair a crumbled section of my front headlining as leaks over time had weakened it too much. I used hardboard and fibreglass and was very happy with it.

You could put a backing piece behind the hole, and build it up with resin/matting.

As above.  I’m using fibre glass matting in places on the back of my headlining panels to stiffen them, particularly at the edges.

Mike

How have you found the Masai one @Paul C ? 

My headlining isn’t great - tears in the front and sagging in the back.

I actually thought of seeing if I could recover it and painting the card with fibreglass resin to stiffen it up and stop the sagging. 

I’ve yet to settle on repair vs buy though. 

I’ve never done any upholstery and I think I’d be really disappointed if I put the time in and it turned out rubbish … 

On 12/5/2023 at 12:54 PM, Anderzander said:

I actually thought of seeing if I could recover it and painting the card with fibreglass resin to stiffen it up and stop the sagging. 

I’ve never done any upholstery and I think I’d be really disappointed if I put the time in and it turned out rubbish … 

I did a write up on here somewhere. Materials used etc. Mine was one of the most succesful interior repairs I have done on my land rover. If the liner 'board' itself is ok then new lining and fir tree fasteners and it will look good as new. 

7 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I’ve just found it (conveniently your thread resurfaced) - but I obviously didn’t miss is ! I posted on it !  

My memory ! 😂

Haha. No worries.

No sag at all on mine but I would say that if its the backing and not just the liner then i would attach (either bond to the back or even screw) some ali strips across the width of the backing on the side against the roof. Ali wont rot and would be strong enough IMO if supported in the middle by the fir tree fasteners. On mine, just renewing everything got it back to where it was supposed to be. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 1:54 AM, Anderzander said:

How have you found the Masai one @Paul C 

Sorry i didnt notice your question earlier.

The first one I was a little disappointed that it had gaps where the b pillar would be but the second set I got them to supply a 90 front section and 110 rears so it doesn't have the b pillar gap. Both mine are 3 door hardtop. Otherwise I am happy enough with them, I haven't fitted the rear telephone piece in the second one though, I have another panel going between my speaker boxes. The first one is a bit pushed up with the telephone piece installed. 

On 12/5/2023 at 4:54 PM, Anderzander said:

The big issue is the finish.  A sagging or curling back board can be cured with some glass matting and epoxy.  If the vinyl is coming away or is damaged, then you can either replace it or you can gently scrub and then pain the backing board.  The La Salle headlinings are GRP and painted in a speckly and grainy paint, in my case grey with small white and dark grey grains for a little contrast, which looks very tidy, hides a little dirt and can be scrubbed hard with a brush or wiped with a meths soaked rag - that is much more helpful than the vulnerable vinyl.