Temperature Gauge

Def88

Hi all,

Just wondering about my temperature gauge. Driving the car is normal, car sounds and performs normally. 200tdi 1988 Land Rover 90. Just recently changed the battery to a newer one with a bit more power. 

Since then, the temperature gauge sits at 3/4, right before the black and then hot area of the gauge. When I slow down or brake, sometimes the temperature spikes to hot and then drops to normal again? Any idea what this could be? It’s had a service 7 weeks ago so all should be well with the engine… fingers crossed! 

Thank you, I’ll check that. My temperature gauge sits around here. Photo attached.

the little pin is slightly bent to the right too which doesn’t help. Just drove home now and again random points it’ll slowly rise to high and drop back down to there. Could be when I’m braking, slowing down.. but when I put the revs on it goes back to there.

Just concerned that the engine could actually be running hot? Or is that unlikely if it fluctuates?

IMG_8296.jpeg

The earth conn of the temp sensor is its own thread. That means to complete the circuit, the engine block itsself has to have a good earth.

If you changed battery, check the earth strap from the batt to the chassis. This is where the engine got its earth from with a strap from the chassis to the block.

If you want to be save regarding temeratures, buy a cheap IR Thermometer. Then it is easy to even temp test the wheel bearings and gear boxes.

Edited by Sigi_H
  • Like 1

Hi all,

cleaned a few of the earths, weirdly my speedo is now accurate below 30mph and the fuel is reading correct as it should. However, the temperature is still sitting right before that black space before hot and then has crept up to hot for about 10-15 seconds and then back to right before the black space. 

would the best thing to do is change the temperature gauge for a more accurate one? Would anyone have a recommendation and is it straight forward?

I also saw that the green wire from the temperature sender is slightly rubbing against the engine bay and the cables have been tied with electrical tape which is slowly coming off? The engine isn’t giving me any indication of its overheating but it’s just a worry when driving. 

6 hours ago, Def88 said:

However, the temperature is still sitting right before that black space before hot and then has crept up to hot for about 10-15 seconds and then back to right before the black space. 

If it hits the top end as it warms up from cold and then pings back down & settles that can be a sticking thermostat or an airlock / a thermostat with no vent hole in it.

If you want a 2nd opinion on your engine temperature, a cheap IR thermometer would give you an instant reading, or a multimeter measuring the ohms resistance of the sender, or temperature indicating strips, or a VDO Vision gauge + sender to replace the rather vague factory one...

12 hours ago, Def88 said:

Just ordered an IR thermometer. Once it arrives is it best to point directly at the sensor or also all the pipes from radiator?

What temperature should they be after a full run? 

Just point it to different places. You will be absolutely sure, as long even the block and the head is slightly below 100°C

In my experience these temps always stay below 100°C, when everything is ok.

I only had a problem with overheating, when the belt of the water pump snaped. But a 200 Tdi even can take this for a longer time.

Thats why I changed my beltdrives completely.

https://www-explorermagazin-de.translate.goog/bauberi/keilum21.htm?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The more you check in different conditions, the quicker you will learn 😉

Hi All,

Purchased an IR thermometer today, car is definitely not overheating. It was sitting at 80 odd after a long hard drive. Took the dash off and tilted it to the right as I did the temp gauge rocketed to the right and if I moved it again it would go back to the middle and so on. It was moving as I moved the dash board with the wires behind. So I put in another Earth and its kind of fixed the issue. 

I called Merlin motorsport and I’ve purchased a sender and VDO gauge so I can actually have a reading in C and know what’s going on under there. 

• Like 1