Smoke in cab, dripping and hissing from under cab and bad smell

Can someone help?

I have just let my mrs have a go in my defender after getting the engine changed. I’m sure if it’s her or not?

she was driving it (terribly) and all of a sudden we smelt a sort of burning clutch smell, the cabin filled up with smoke and we could hear a sort of drip and hissing sound coming from under the cab.

Is that just a burnt clutch or something more sinister?

9 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Was she riding the clutch...?

Was it wet, that could be your hissing sound..? Check your clutch fluid see if the level has dropped significantly, if it is still driving and engaging gear hopefully clutch is ok

Regards Stephen

I have no idea what she was doing to be honest. I was losing my rag. She was putting it into 5th thinking it was 3rd and nearly stalling it. She kept taking ages to change down a gear on hills causing her to have to go back down to 1st gear every time.

I’ve just given it a drive around the block and it was fine. I’ll keep driving it over the next few weeks and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, Lockylockwood said:

I have no idea what she was doing to be honest. I was losing my rag. She was putting it into 5th thinking it was 3rd and nearly stalling it. She kept taking ages to change down a gear on hills causing her to have to go back down to 1st gear every time.

I’ve just given it a drive around the block and it was fine. I’ll keep driving it over the next few weeks and see what happens. 

Does sound like she was riding the clutch a bit, thankfully no real damage done...

regards Stephen

My wife loves driving her 110 (even with the leaks I haven't fixed yet). However she will not lend it to any of her friends, in her words 'if you've only even driven a normal car you won't be able to drive it'. She normally goes on with the clutch is like power lifting, gears are in there somewhere, brakes....yeah it has some and steering is a rough guess. I will point out there is nothing wrong with hers it's just compared to modern cars it's a big leap. It takes time to settle in to land rover driving, but often once they've got it you can't get them out.

I agree with Stephen it sounds like she was riding the clutch and making it work hard therefore it was all a bit warm under there. Either way I'd have a good look especially for dripping while it's running and for evidence of.

Mike

With all the recent weather, the dripping could just be rainwater that pooled somewhere and was running down.  The smell is more likely to be the clutch than anything else, especially if it has since gone.  Keep an eye out for slipping if it was badly overheated or polished and check the fluid level and colour (probably worth replacing it), but if it’s working, then you’ll probably have no ill-effect other than perhaps needing a replacement disc a few months earlier than would have been the case.

If not oily smoke any possibiltiy of a leak in the heater matrix firing hissy steamy smelly guff into the cab? Or have we ruled that one out? Frightened the pants of me when it suddenly happened as I was belting along and turned the cab into a passable imiatation of a sauna (without the nudity!).  It would drip down underneath and hiss on contact with the hot bits.

14 hours ago, miketomcat said:

However she will not lend it to any of her friends, in her words 'if you've only even driven a normal car you won't be able to drive it'.

I just took the 109 in today to get the exhaust re-jigged, the chap said he took it up the road to test drive it and very quickly gave up and turned around :lol:

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, steve b said:

I assume the hand brake warning light is not working? ....as the description in your first post is Exactly what happens when driven with the HB on..............

The hissing and foul smelling smoke is oil on the HB drum/shoes burning off .

Steve

I think you’ve sussed it. I noticed she wasn’t pushing it right down earlier in the drive and with my handbrake there’s a little click as you push it down at the end. Is there anything I need to do to? Maybe get it checked?

If it still works ok then I'd say check the HB drum for signs of oil leaks over the next few trips. The leak will be from the rear output oil seal inside the drum. 

If it's adjusted  tight- less than 4 clicks to fully on then back it off a little. If it needs pushing down to fully off then the cable could be sticky.

Do make sure the warning light is working - good for any driver.

Steve