D1 Daily driver

Shep The Disco

Obviously, it is totally up to you but for road work I'd stick to a close to standard as possible.

No lift, nothing on the roof, keep weight down and best possible maintenance.

Good shocks - I'm into Koni - and decent road tires should help you having a nice drive.

Good Luck !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Obviously, it is totally up to you but for road work I'd stick to a close to standard as possible.

No lift, nothing on the roof, keep weight down and best possible maintenance.

Good shocks - I'm into Koni - and decent road tires should help you having a nice drive.

Good Luck 

Yes I'm keeping it pretty much standard. It is in lovely condition.

I'm not bothered with a silly lift etc there's no need .

It ticks along at 50 mph lovely around the B-Roads and is generally nice to drive. Don't want to spoil it just get it right.

It's fitted standard springs etc.  I am going to polybush the roll bars tho just for longevity basically.

Edited by Shep The Disco

Well all loaded up for back to work. Never really thought much about getting fuel so went supermarket to fill up.

£122.00 later I have a tank of diesel....🤣🤣🤣😁

Daily trip to the yard will be around 25 miles so I will see how long I get out of that. Hopefully 3 weeks. 

Bit up and down so not a flat run by any means. I'm guessing £5-£6.50 per Day at the moment but will know soon enough......

Not a bad week so far.

Fuel economy is good, definitely needed the ground clearance over a car with the weather and road conditions.

Main beam is ok but dip beam is a bit short for distance so need to adjust that for next winter.

Extra lighting is definitely required. Been some pretty bad flooding and carp in he road most days so currently it's a good daily driver...

Worth considering some of the brighter H4 bulbs and a relay harness to improve headlamp performance - the standard bulbs aren’t great and the standard wiring is a light puny and overloads the switches if you use halogen bulbs.

• Haha 1

I use suitable bulbs it's just the dip beam is adjusted too short. I can compensate for the mechanical adjustment if I set them up with a further range by using the dashboard adjustable settings.

They are plenty bright enough as standard.

12 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

They are all halogen from factory, do you mean higher power halogen bulbs? 

My 95 RR had plain incandescent H4 bulbs when new, as did all Defenders at least well into the late 90s.  I’d be surprised if D1s were different.  Halogen look the same but have the halogen gas that allows them to run hotter, and that was an upgrade.  But there is a range of different power halogen bulbs, so an upgrade even if it already has some is likely possible.  But the car will need heavier wiring and relays to run them at their full brightness and without burning the switches.

The "H" series of car light bulbs started with the H1 in 1962.  Halogen Sealed beam units didn't appear until the end of the 70's.  I reckon few cars didn't have halogen lights after the 1980's

Are you thinking of HID (Hight intensity discharge) that didn't turn up till the 90's ?

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2024 at 5:13 PM, Happyoldgit said:

Unless you have access yourself it's worth a drink to your local garage bod or MoT place to get them properly set up on a beam setter. 

I have access thanks. They are also set up correctly but the dip beam distance is not long enough so I'm going to make it a longer distance and set it up so I can reduce that distance by adjusting the load setting angles from the dashboard.

SO level 3 for maximum load lowering the light angle will become level 1 .. I then have it with a further range on dip at 0 and level 3 will be the setting for the MOT.

As long as I remember in traffic to set it accordingly all will be fine 

In fog I will have a better spread pattern on dip beam

Edited by Shep The Disco