Wheel size and off set

muzaz

I'm after a set of mach 5 style wheel for my defender 90 but getting a bit confused on selecting the right size.

https://4x4tyres.co.uk/brand-name/challenger/#pa_wheel-size=4884

The tyres I want to fit are 255/85r16 Toyo Open Country MT. The wheels I'm seeing have different widths and different offset:

16x10" ET-32,

16x8" ET-20 or ET-32 or ET-35,

16x7" ET-20 or ET-25

Any suggestions which way to go please?

if you want to learn about offset, Google is your friend... :)

But essentially ET means from the rim centre to the front face in mm. A negative ET will move the rims outboard and a positive more inboard.

e.g.

If you had a 8" wide rim with 00 offset you'd have a 4 inch dish on the front and back. A 7" wide rim with 00 offset would be 3.5" dish either side. While an 8" rim with say a -25ET would have a 5 inch dish on the outside and a 3 inch dish on the inside. In this case making the rim stick out the arch an inch further than 00ET.

A 255/85 is design to fit a 6.5 - 8.5" wide rim. So any will work bar the 10j rim. Although IMO an 8" wide rim does make this size tyre look a little stretched. A 7" rim would probably be more ideal.

As for offset. Factory rims are 16x7 or 16x6.5 normally with an offset of +33ET, so quite tucked in the arch. With the 16x7's above you say you can get them in -20 and -25? tbh I've never really looked at these rims. But 5mm difference is going to make no odds at all and you'd never tell by eye. Odd that they offer such similar offsets. Either should work fine.

• Like 1

If you go into the wheel page, and choose the manufacturer and model it states the -20ET does not fit a Land Rover, presume it is for a Jap pick up or something similar.

There's also a nice diagram showing how offset effects the wheel ;)

Easy way to see where a wheel will sit is measure from the wheel mounting surface out by however much dish you have on the outside of the rim.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, will go for 16x7" ET-25. Will see how much they cost to ship them. As for tyres I can find Toyo MT local to me, not cheap tho at 240€ a pop.

• Like 2

I have those tyres fitted to my 110 with 16x7 et-20 compomotive wheels, 

6 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

You and half the country. 4x4 Tyres has them as backorder-only for qty over 1. 

I bought mine from Jerry Hunt at Se tyres, 

20230708_113955.jpg

12 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

I have those tyres fitted to my 110 with 16x7 et-20 compomotive wheels, 

I bought mine from Jerry Hunt at Se tyres, 

20230708_113955.jpg

Looks good! Did you lift it?