Modelling items for 3D printing

Hazza

I wonder if anyone here can point me to a good (free) piece of software and a tutorial which would get me on my way towards modelling a part for 3D printing.

I have a pair of 110 second row door cards which are in reasonable condition apart from the section which covers the check strap which is totally destroyed (but I have enough of them left for measuring etc).

It seems to be that it would be possible to make a part which fits (bonded) to the inside of the card and fairly accurately replicates the missing part. Problem is I have no idea how to do this!!

Image shows the piece I'm talking about!Screenshot_20240224-144653.thumb.png.b2b9c89489d24e0aa9d20ad1741e503b.png

Fusion 360 has a free for personal use option. It'll take a steep learning curve to make that part, but shouldn't be too difficult I think?

Or throw up some measurements on here, and I'm sure someone will be bored enough to help at some point.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Being programming sort of person I use OpenSCAD

You might imagine me being similar.  I have used it, but compared to the modern CAD packages, it felt like a rediculous way to model something!

For something free, I would either go for OnShape or Fusion.  Onshape is fantastic - and I'd use it professionally, except we're not allowed to use Cloud based software.  Fusion is very capable, but lacks a few of the features I use a lot in Solidworks.

I'm also averse to cloudy things and all my machines are Linux which rules some of the others out... TBH though although OpenSCAD can be clunky, I doubt I'd be able to churn out much better with a full CAD package even if I could muster the enthusiasm to learn the damn thing...

I also run Linux and also hate anything cloud based. I swapped to Freecad about 5 years ago. It is quite a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, its great. Its free as the name suggests and its also open source and not cloud based. The realthunder version is the best one to go for

• Like 2