What are these pipes?

My vehicle is a 1991 110 CSW originally with 3.5V8 and LT77S g’box but now with 300Tdi and R380.

My memory, the LR parts manual, LRWorkshop and the LR Maintenance manual have totally failed me.  About seven years ago I started my tear down and labelled most bits I removed, but I am totally lost regarding the two pipes below.  They appear to not have had oil through them, maybe water, but no evidence of any liquid.  I already have the breather lines on both front and rear axle tubes and on the t’box and g’box extension.

IMG_1340.JPG.8051425026047e41fca01b3bc2ed715c.JPG

The upper pipe is approximately 54cm long and has one banjo fitting of 21mm diameter.

The lower pipe is approximately 51cm long and has two banjo fittings of 21mm and 23mm although not very clear in the photo.

The bends in the pipes are as they were when removed.  Both pipes are very stiff plastic except for the short metal section that includes the banjo fitting in the upper pipe.  The longer straight of the lower pipe is almost the length of the engine block.  THat’s about all the detail I can provide.   Can anybody throw any light on them, please.  

Mike

The upper pipe is part of the 300Tdi injector leak off pipe - the hose on the right has been cut, but would have gone to the no4 injector banjo and then had the 3mm braided hose to the other three injector banjos.  The left end would have run to the tank return line.  The mid-length banjo was fitted to the back end of the injection pump.

The lower line looks like it ran to the fuel filter, either from the lift pump or from  filter to injection pump.

Yes and just to put some more detail in, the upper is fuel return from number 1 injector (front) spill, to the rear of the fip and on to the tank.

The double banjo is fuel supply from filter to the front of the pump. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  For some reason I was convinced that they were parts of the breather systems.  It’s funny how one can be blind when totally convinced of something.  All is now well.

Mike

Now I’ve been out to look at the engine, FIP and filter I’m sorry to say that my mystery remains.  All the fuel lines are already connected up.  The upper line in the photo could go from the No.1 cylinder spill back to the back of the pump, but it would need a few more inches at each end.  At least it is the right shape.  The other line doesn’t seem to fit anywhere.  From the front of the FIP it ends somewhere in the middle of the air filter, and not the right shape to connect to the fuel pump.  I’ll not worry, but will continue with my rebuild and if I find out where they go I’ll resurrect this thread and close it out.

Mike

I am 95% confident that the top pipe is the spill line and return line that has been cut down for some reason and fitted with a length of rubber hose to reattach it to the injector spill line.

The other pipe could be a transmission breather, though it looks to me like a cut pipe between lift pump and filter or filter and injection pump.

IMG_0746.jpeg

So you’re still unsure, simonpelly!  I agree with you, but 100%.  I still can’t work out where the other line would go.  I don’t think that it’s a breather because of the two banjo fittings.

Mike

I just zoomed in more on the left end of the bottom pipe and saw it too has a banjo Union (so, a banjo at each end). That will make it the fuel filter to injection pump line.  100%, just like my now 100% certainty over the spill rail/return line following Simon’s photo.

On 3/6/2024 at 12:45 PM, Peaklander said:

The double banjo is fuel supply from filter to the front of the pump.

It's what I have and I can't think where else there is a double banjo.

@Troll Hunter, if you already have fuel lines connected, what have you used for the spill rail to back of pump? Do you have the banjo on the 90degree metal pipe, as shown in the first photo from @simonpelly ?

Just throw another option into the pot, is it possible you have a mix of tdi and V8 pipes there? 

The carbs on a V8 used metal fuel line to go between the two carbs(if I remember correctly) , perhaps one or both are not tdi at all... 

I'd say looking at the banjo, it is very much of the profile similar to the fuel filter. However, the pipes to the fuel filter/pump(s) are usually as a joined pair. As such, if it is a fuel filter pipe, probably been separated?

IMG_4033.jpg

963_fuel_filter_and_pipes.png

IMG_4035.jpg

Edited by simonpelly

the pipe with the 2 banjo's is exactly the same as my fuel pipe from injection pump to filter (mounted on the bulkhead) in a 200TDI

(and if you don't use it , i can use it on the Eurover project)

My fuel filter is mounted on the right hand side of the engine compartment forward of the cooling header tank, as in simonpelly’s first photo.  It has always been here, as far as I know, at least since 1995, when I bought the vehicle.  The spill-back line from cylinder one injector to the FIP is a gently curved line, not one with pre-formed bends.

The two pipes connected to the filter are as in simonpelly’s second photo.  Although the lower pipe in my original photo could go to the area of the 300Tdi fuel lift pump the pre-formed bends are all wrong, and the 300Tdi lift pump doesn’t have banjo fittings.

Bowie 69 and hurbie may just have hit the answer.  Somewhere during the last 19 years, since I had the engine changed, I’ve collected a couple of 200Tdi pipes and I inadvertently got them mixed-up with the bits that I dismantled during the tear down.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions, photos and general detective work.  I’ll continue with my rebuild and not worry any more.

Mike

Thanks for your best wishes, simonpelly.  My rebuild has little of interest in it, and there are far more captivating projects than mine.  I might, however, include a photo or two of my electrical mods.  Let’s see how I get on!

Mike

3 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

Thanks for your best wishes, simonpelly.  My rebuild has little of interest in it, and there are far more captivating projects than mine.  I might, however, include a photo or two of my electrical mods.  Let’s see how I get on!

Mike

It’s still interesting, even if it doesn’t have the extreme mods that some of the guys on here are capable of.  Looking at restorations, without mods at all, is still enthralling to me and many others - there are even many YouTube channels dedicated to lawn mowing, weeding and jet washing; seeing order return to entropy is cathartic. 🙂