Doors. Do I need them?

I know, another bloody daft question.

Regardless of practicality, when I have finished (Ha!) getting my truck moving again and have removed the roof, do I actually have to have doors fitted for an MOT?

Reason for asking - they may take me longer than I want to get sorted and if I can use it without them it (a) gives me time and (b) means I can move them around the country if I need others to do things to them.

Plus I'm toying with making it into an homage to the Pink Panther, so no doors is a given.

No, but it'll need to look like they're not supposed to be there rather than just taken off. You may have to argue the point unless you have an MOT tester that does more unusual car's (Kwik fit etc aren't going to have a clue) and they may try to insist on seatbelts.

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2024 at 12:10 AM, jeremy996 said:

No, but if fitted the external door releases have to work.

Yeah, I was expecting that it's going to be an all or nothing type of thing.

On 5/6/2024 at 9:20 AM, miketomcat said:

No, but it'll need to look like they're not supposed to be there rather than just taken off. You may have to argue the point unless you have an MOT tester that does more unusual car's (Kwik fit etc aren't going to have a clue) and they may try to insist on seatbelts.

Mike

Thanks Mike - I'll be keeping seat belts in anyway and will put plastic plugs in the hinge bolt holes on the bulkhead to keep water out and to make it look a bit more finished.

On 5/6/2024 at 12:10 AM, jeremy996 said:

No, but if fitted the external door releases have to work.

Interestingly though you don't have to have external door releases. You can just have them on the inside as long as you can reach them or open the window from outside to reach them.

Mike

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Would early-style split doors not be a good halfway between all of nothing? Plus in keeping with the age and look of your car.

Let me guess...you've got a pair knocking about?

;)

Joking aside, yes - it's something I thought about. The only reason for not going that way was the additional cost. I can rebuild my doors reasonably inexpensively, just not necessarily quickly. So running sans doors for a while through the summer seems like a sensible alternative. Plus it means it's less likely that some scrote will damage the roof trying to get in - no doors, fill yer boots.

Though it probably does mean that Mr Fox will mark his territory in there. Nuts - only just thought of that...

4 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I do like the idea, but what will you do if it rains?

The roof acts as an umbrella -ask me how I know.

Also, if you are driving, nothing really comes in unless you are traversing a high Welsh hill road and a sudden squall strikes and there is horizontal rain and an accompanying stiff wind -then it gets unpleasant - again ask me how I know ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

I do like the idea, but what will you do if it rains?

I'm a biker. If it rains I get wet. I'm essentially waterproof, so no problem.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Junglie said:

I'm a biker. If it rains I get wet. I'm essentially waterproof, so no problem.

This has been my experience too, just not on a bike. 

My daily driver for 18 months was this.

free2.JPEG.f0e0050fa084281339f1b7bca699e306.JPEG

Granted I was a bit younger, I used a quilted one piece suit and a helmet to protect my head from debris. You get used to it quite quickly then it's not even a consideration, however on a day like today shorts, tee shirt and no lid it's fantastic.

Mike

• Like 2

On 5/12/2024 at 3:02 PM, miketomcat said:

My daily driver for 18 months was this.

free2.JPEG.f0e0050fa084281339f1b7bca699e306.JPEG

Granted I was a bit younger, I used a quilted one piece suit and a helmet to protect my head from debris. You get used to it quite quickly then it's not even a consideration, however on a day like today shorts, tee shirt and no lid it's fantastic.

Mike

Mustn't let myself get sucked in...

That is fantastic!

3 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

The monotracer is a fine vehicle for sure, but it is not a bike for sure

Not sure I'd want to take one round the Nordschleife like in the pic... but I have contacted them to see if I can get a road test.