Rover V8 distributor connector

Hi , A friend of mine asked me if it was possible to replace the boot on his V8 distributor wiring? I hoped someone here would be able to advise? It has two wires red and white going to the coil , Thanks Angus/ 92a

IMG_4351.jpeg

IMG_4353.jpeg

IMG_4358.png

IMG_4359.jpeg

If you're handy, with the right picks you can release the pins from the connector. That will allow fitting a new boot. Pretty fiddly though. A piece of large shrink tube or carefully wound tape would do serve as well, without the need to remove the connector.

That connector is called a "3 way junior timer" available just about anywhere.

Comes complete with terminals, or pre wired, so you can twist the wires together and cover with a bit of insulation tape 😆

The boot comes with it, but you will not be able to fit it over the existing connector.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, smallfry said:

Comes complete with terminals, or pre wired, so you can twist the wires together and cover with a bit of insulation tape 😆

You're a horrible horrible man! :rtfm:

Honestly I would either do as others say and de-pin it carefully or just buy a complete new connector kit, although those boots are pretty useless at actually keeping stuff out.

On 5/8/2024 at 11:12 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

You're a horrible horrible man! :rtfm:

Honestly I would either do as others say and de-pin it carefully or just buy a complete new connector kit, although those boots are pretty useless at actually keeping stuff out.

Thats a bit unfair. I thought this was the standard and proper way that LR owners use in maintaining or adding accessories. Heaven knows, I have seen enough of it on vehicles I have had. Non genuine 3M Scotchloks are another staple favourite.

I find the boots are not very good for bare wires or tape wrapping. The hole is oval and better suited for PVC covered twin cable. Some RTV sealer sorts it though.