Lacking Horsepower and Torque.

LRheadache

10 hours ago, LRheadache said:

I would like to hear from anyone who has fitted a “turbo upgrade kit “ to their 300tdi Defender and are you happy with the results.  I’m referring to the complete kit with the manifold as well from the UK costing around 3000 pounds. Do you think it is worth the money?

Thanks Keith. 

Which turbo specifically?

Is your engine running ok now? A mildly tweaked Tdi should run pretty good and not really feel lacking in power or torque. 

Do you have any mods? And what is your overall goal?

Personally I’d say £3k on a turbo is horrendous money and way beyond the point of diminishing returns. You’d spend less money on a Td5 swap and easily gain 50hp over a similarly tuned Tdi engine. 

I'd check your current engine is FULLY and properly serviced and set up - including adjusting the tappets and probably overhauling / refurbing the injection pump before you start tuning it which could easily just be masking problems or over-stressing a worn out engine.

Also 3k is insanity, you can do a very nice engine swap for that money and gain way more power (and more reliably) with an engine that's not stressed beyond its limits.

• Like 3

I agree with the above, a full and detailed service along with checking all the boost connections to the FIP and the boost diaphragm - one common fail is the short piece of rubber hose connecting the boost pressure to the waste gate can splits due to heat damage/age. Check the waste gate operation is free and works (connect your shop compressor to the 'gate can at 20psi to see it move)

Check all the hoses from the turbo - intercooler - inlet manifold. Look for signs of leaks in the IC matrix (oily stains) and check the inlet manifold/head gasket and fit a boost gauge to check boost while driving. 

Steve

One other thing to check (!) is that the timing belt is fitted correctly; the engine will run with the camshaft timed slightly  incorrectly, but the power isn't great. 

The OP is in Queensland, so there may be barriers to engine swaps out there.

• Like 1

I agree with the consensus that £3k is way overpriced, that a Tdi should not feel sluggish if it’s healthy (though it has noticeably less performance than a TD5 or TdCI) and that not only would such a kit merely be masking symptoms of an existing problem but would likely exacerbate them and kill the engine.  Tdis are pretty robust, but I don’t think heavy tuning of them is a good idea, especially in hot climates (likewise most engines, including TD5s).

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

I don’t think heavy tuning of them is a good idea

TBH the price/performance curve of ANY tuning on any engine is pretty steep, the first bit (maybe ~10% gain) is usually cheap enough but it tails off pretty quickly after that unless it's something like an LS.

• Like 2