Somerset 4x4 trial, 23rd october

hedley

Thats were i think its going to be im sure hedley will be along to confirm. i went to a awdc do there once and theres some pretty intresting bomb holes there.

Shall be intresting considering the amount of rain we have had the past couple of days.

Scott i will be leaving home about 11 i expect so after then!!!!!

i cant go any earlier as i wil be up on the Quantocks early doors doing a bit of phys.

red 90 i intend to be in if the misses isin't taking it (that way i cant be 'persuaded' to enter!

John

If it the place i am thinking of "Grove Farm" as you come into the village from the Taunton way,, up the hill

the venue is on the right hand side,, usually with orange arrows , if you past the grave yard on the left,, you missed it !!!

Grove Farm Othery

Tim

Thats the one!

The enterance is via a track that is right on the blind brow, opposite the above mentioned graveyard. The blind brow is signposted from taunton end

Are You planin on coming Tim?

Orange triangles will be marked SOM 4X4.

Yes, there are some very interesting 'bomb' holes, thats what you get for having free use of the farmers big-ass tracked digger in there!

As for the weather, well that just adds a different dimension of fun to it all!

Out of interest, what will you be competing in turbocharger? i.e. ruff spec - cage, non factory lockers, etc.

and James, if your sooo worried about your precious truck cab, you could always double drive my erm....rangie/machine/beast/tractor......... that is, if you think your 'ard enuff. :blink:

but u'd have to be there on time to do that..

I'l c ya all there

Thats the one!

The enterance is via a track that is right on the blind brow, opposite the above mentioned graveyard. The blind brow is signposted from taunton end

Are You planin on coming Tim?

Sorry hedley,, away sailing Sunday, :) ,(looks like I will be missing out again,,) but in with a shout of winning the autumn series,,

Next time maybe ??

JSG - details, where, when etc? I ought to be fitting the useless shi quality previously enjoyed parts I'll pick up at Sodbury but I'm tempted, a good warmup to Seven Sisters perhaps?

JB

PS I've just realised what time I've got to get up to get to Othery on Sunday - that's not funny. :blink:

Edit: Found the details - where's Torrington?

Edited by Turbocharger

will be there so check the turf first!!!

eh? :huh:

I admit the winch is not much use for the trial its self, but they are useful we some ijit blows their rear diff in the bottom of a large bomb hole and cant get out in just 2WD :ph34r::unsure::blink:

As for the cage, wise move but very understandable about testing it.

I built mine to withstand a serious roll, and still keep going, even if i dont wish to!

Cracking day out at a good site and a damn good club too, not just one person pushing the 'friendly atmosphere' but a real culture. I think I came second too, only one person got more points than me ;) The standard was very high indeed, most were what I'd call 'mod' or 'supermod' class, CCV type vehicles so not really a trial for Discoverys and RRs - although I'm sure if you showed up they'd welcome you and put some 'RTV' gates in to sidestep(!) the more damaging parts.

Nice to see some forumeers put in an appearance too - I think JST has some pics.

Cracking day out at a good site and a damn good club too, not just one person pushing the 'friendly atmosphere' but a real culture. I think I came second too, only one person got more points than me ;) The standard was very high indeed, most were what I'd call 'mod' or 'supermod' class, CCV type vehicles so not really a trial for Discoverys and RRs - although I'm sure if you showed up they'd welcome you and put some 'RTV' gates in to sidestep(!) the more damaging parts.

Nice to see some forumeers put in an appearance too - I think JST has some pics.

Totally agree- top morning out- hadn't been to a trial before- and i didn't know anyone so i was a little nervous about just coming along by myself- so thanks to all of you for making me feel welcome! Great to meet you all JST, Bishbosh, Turbo, Scotty (any chance you can get back on my round- the post might actually turn up then lol) etc etc

Extremely impressed by the level of skilll shown- (note to self- must learn to drive one day!), from Hedley's rather hump back supermod to Turbo's almost bog standard 90 (which was at least 70% as capable as hedleys- incredible really). Great to watch all the zooks giving it some too.

Will bring missus next time as i reckon she might apreciate the skill- she gets a bit scared at some of the challenge events.

Have some vids and some piccies on the phone- will post later when i get a sec- should have a vid of the zook that rolled over giving it some welly at gate 1 of the first trial of the day!

looking forward to the next one that comes along- one day i might even be able to participate!

Great to watch and some good sections. the courses were certainly geared towards the modifed, fiddle breaks, narrow vehicle type. some incrediable climbs as well, would do it on a winch and thats probably about it!

here the first two picks.

Hedleys beast:

Hedleygoingin.jpg

Jon showing off:

Notquite.jpg

(I mean Jon stuck!!) understandable when you consider what hes competing against and they were all like that!!!

more pics still uploading

Sorry I missed it. I have been a bit late with my words for TOR this month, coupled with forgeting it was one of my ex wifes access visit weekends...

I did however flash/wave to Hedley and a few others on my way up to through Othery at about 5ish this afternoon.

You'd be the dude in the white rangie then.

It was a good days trialing, and the rain held off!

Only minor problem was having to retire on the second to last course due to fuel problems, the tank was full, and the pump was working, but it wasnt reaching the engine. Those who were there pitched in on the start line (dad was lining up to go, i'd already been) but alas it had to be dragged back and onto the trailer.

We both still had a great day tho, and it was good to see so many from on here turn up, even if it was only to watch!

Well done Jon, impressive driving considering it wasnt set up for rtv's.

And on that note, the point has already been made that the courses are not 'rtv freindly' - for want of a better phrase - this is just due to the group of us that set the club up already having mods.

We have no comitte or leaders, the club is run by its members, mostly those who are willing to put effort into it, and want to get the most out of it. If we had at least a couple of rtv enterants on a regular basis, the club would be more than willing to accomodate them and alter the courses acordingly to suit everyone.

The next site is Allercott Pitts at Timberscome on the 13th of November, I will post a new thread for that event.

I will be there to help set up on the saturday aff'noon and if there is an interest from some rtv's then i will make sure the courses are suited to all.

Just one word of warning tho -- the Timberscome site is NOT for the faint hearted

Those of you who have participated in the exmoor jaunt/challenge will know the site as you have been in there.

It would be interesting to see a couple of trucks running lockers and simexs, just to see if they can beat the mods on dumpers thru the bog run!