Embarrassing exhaust question

Um.

I'm having a senior moment I think. Downpipes and Y piece - one fits into the other and the larger has two slots cut in the tube to allow it to be squeezed. I get that. But how do I clamp them together> The D shaped clamps don't look as though the'd work...am I just being thick?

D-Clamps sometimes squeeze even the tubes and make them hard to separate, when the inner tube is as soft as the outer one.

At the 200Tdi turbo the D-Clamp is holding the downpipe and work well, because the inner tube is the hard casting of the turbo.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

although V-band clamps with the weld-on flanges are my new favourite thing.

Same, lovely things to have on an exhaust/inlet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

Lovely but completely overengineered. The threads will be prone to dirt.

No more so than any other type of clamp or bolted flange, but at least these should be stainless, unlike standard fittings on 99% of exhausts.

Indeed, they are stainless clamps even if the flanges are mild steel and are designed to be removed/fastened many times. 

The nuts on them are a special sprung locking nut, rather than plain or a nyloc which don't last well on exhausts for obvious reasons. 

They came from aviation originally, so over engineered? Maybe, but it means not hammers and blocks of wood involved when removing a section, two nuts and it falls out. 

I used to work with them on vacuum devices with KF flanges. There is stainless quality, but they use only 1 bolt with a smaller diameter to tighten. Usefull to be flexible and quick. But on a exhaust? Smaller threads are more prone to dirt, even stainless.

They're M8, which is pretty standard for exhaust clamps, I think? 

They also serve a different purpose, just holding the circle together which then holds the V together, so quite different loading - the bolt isn't really clamping at all.

V-bands are used extensively in motorsport in this application, if they didn't work I'd doubt they would do it. 

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

V-bands are used extensively in motorsport in this application, if they didn't work I'd doubt they would do it. 

Thats true, but they rearely drive in mud. My clamps have been M6 up to 70mm tube diameter. The thread on the bolt is widely exposed.

On "normal" exhauts flanges, if a bolt won´t open, just tear it off and use a new bolt and nut. If the bolt on a v-clamp is seized =>angle grinder.

I wouldn´t use them for that, only in clean conditions, when it has to be opened often.

Edited by Sigi_H

Recently fitted some on 63mm exhaust, was m8 coarse, not seen smaller than than that if I am honest. 

I guess it will depend on the quality of the stainless, but I don't find stainless exhaust bolts corroding or galling up badly at that size.