Cutting / machining brake pads?

I have a feeling the pads on my X-Brake are getting a tad low but having checked the internet people seem to want well north of £50 for a pair of very small pads... so the thought occurred to me that for the princely sum of about 10 quid I could buy a set of regular pads from something else and just whittle them down to size.

But then I've no idea if brake pad material is sensibly cuttable let alone machinable - I'm sure that breathing the dust is a Bad IdeaTM but even outside of that, the pad material is likely not good for cutting tools either.

Is this a daft idea or has anyone actually done it?

Certainly feels like something @Stellaghost or @simonr would have experimented with at some point :lol:

5 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I have a feeling the pads on my X-Brake are getting a tad low but having checked the internet people seem to want well north of £50 for a pair of very small pads... so the thought occurred to me that for the princely sum of about 10 quid I could buy a set of regular pads from something else and just whittle them down to size.

But then I've no idea if brake pad material is sensibly cuttable let alone machinable - I'm sure that breathing the dust is a Bad IdeaTM but even outside of that, the pad material is likely not good for cutting tools either.

Is this a daft idea or has anyone actually done it?

Certainly feels like something @Stellaghost or @simonr would have experimented with at some point :lol:

Absolutely done it before, I used a grinder and a dust mask, if I was doing it now I would do it in the milling machine as it does not create the airborne dust you get with a grinder, the pad is a sacrificial material and will not cause any issues with a milling cutter

Regards Stephen

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that these pads are available from JCB parts suppliers for considerably less £ than X-brake resellers are charging. Just need to know the machine model this caliper was used on.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TSD said:

A smidge more than your £10 target, but these fitted just fine for me. Definitely not gen parts, but no nuns or kitten have been harmed thus far.

They look good!  It doesn't say, but they look like Sintered material.  You can get Organic pads which are much cheaper than the originals - but they just don't last and end up a false economy.  If these are sintered, they are a total bargain.

I have tried re-lining them (actually I had a local shop re-line them) but the saving was trivial.

I can't honestly remember if they were sintered or not, but I suspect that they were. Of course, it's eblag, even if they were, it doesn't mean the next box will be.

If you get one of each, the box is probably blue, and the organic half contains asbestos (and is on fire). :P

• 3 weeks later...