DIY "Weld on Beadlocks"

Warthog

The trouble is, it's very difficult to compete on cost with the Straightforward ones. Once you have had them laser cut and bought all the fixings, you save about £10 compared to just buying the things!

Obviously there is an economy of scale for them, but I don't believe their margins can be very big!

Si

I built my beadlocks about 4 years ago,i saw a review of rockstompers diy kit in a yank 4x4 mag and made my own version of theirs.

The only problem with rockstomper and straightforwards design is that it is welded straight to the wheel without prepping it first.

With my wheels i ground the outer lip down to about 60degrees,the same was done with the inner beadlock ring.This gives it a nice v prep.

the grinding and welding were done on a jig i made(1 1/2 solid bar welded to a scrap stub axle,then an old landy hub bolted to stub axle),once clamped in vice the wheel would spin perfectly true.

Then its just a matter of tacking inner ring on,making sure its true,then weld it on solid.I had the rings laser cut locally for £20 a ring,nuts,bolts and washers came from work. :ph34r: Also no difference to running normal wheels on the road even at motorway speeds :D

hope this helps

ian

Ive been running beadlocks for about 4 years now and found them to be a major advantage. The only trouble i found was the weight gain but then it is in the right place. currantly building a set of double beadlocks with the plastic insert .

I've just priced up getting some Stazworks sent over, to dear for me. I've been looking at having a go(Paying someone) to do doubles, got a plan but don't know where to go for the plastic inserts can you help?

Andy

I've just priced up getting some Stazworks sent over, to dear for me. I've been looking at having a go(Paying someone) to do doubles, got a plan but don't know where to go for the plastic inserts can you help?

Andy

A company in birmingham make them to any size you require, i was quoted £25 per ring for 17inch rims, you can get them on 01213444484

I'd be interested in some inserts as well - that's the hard part to get hold of.

Pete, do you plan to use the inserts as single peice or cut them so they can be taken appart, placed inside the tyre and then slotted back together to make fitting easier.

Hi will, the company will make them to any size/spec you require, i will be running single piece so will have to squash them lik a bean to get inside the tyre. I plan to run tubes aswel so the less sharp edges inside the better.