Is there a doctor in the house?

JimAttrill

Following what I have seen in the various LR mags, I have tried wearing latex gloves while working on the oily bits. I can't stand them as they make my hands so sweaty even when it isn't very hot. I can't believe anyone would wear them on purpose unless you can get airconditioned versions. Is it a legal requirement or something in the UK?

not a legal requirement, but employers have to provide the 'PPE' Personal Protective Equipment to comply with Health & Safety Regs, but the employee/worker has the last choice if they use them or not, if not used any accidents/illness is not covered by the company insurance/ HSE.

when I wear them at work, my hands are all swaety wet when the gloves come off, just think it's becuase your.my hands can't breathe will fully covered.

Some people are allergic to latex so they tend to use vinyl or nitrile gloves. I think the vinyl ones are brownish, nitrile ones blue and latex white.

If the sweating is just due to temperature then that's not much help!

Ironically, latex are the best ones on many fronts. The PVC ones are fine with blood etc, but try oil and they degrade rapidly and split with ease. The Nitrile ones just tear easily anyway....but come in funky colours...

I choose Latex given the option, but I'm not sensative to rubber :ph34r:

Jas

Being the age I am we didn't have sucth things. It always sets me back to see fitters donning gloves. At least they should have clean hands when they get home.

Neither was I allowed to hold a hammer with anything other than bare hands. That was considered dangerous because the hammer could slip.

I was taught to put my hands into grease and oil.

Not so today. I'm told that the additives in oil and grease are dangerous. Well I still don't wear gloves.

mike FOAK

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

I don't bother getting the tee shirt.

I've got some proper marigold surgical sterile gloves, they come wrapped in pairs, and are powdered on the inside... I can wear them for a good car fixing session (3 or 4 hours) without getting sweaty hands..

a mate who works in the medical industry gets them for me, they must cost quite a bit though........

Being the age I am we didn't have sucth things. It always sets me back to see fitters donning gloves. At least they should have clean hands when they get home.

Neither was I allowed to hold a hammer with anything other than bare hands. That was considered dangerous because the hammer could slip.

I was taught to put my hands into grease and oil.

Not so today. I'm told that the additives in oil and grease are dangerous. Well I still don't wear gloves.

mike FOAK

The best way to clean your hands is make some pastry, natural and no nasty chemicals :lol:

The instructions that came with my pillar drill said not to wear gloves when using it.

Hi

Nitrile gloves are ok for oil etc and usually come in blue or purple, vinyl are super sweaty and are clearish, latex are best but quickly dissolve in petrol/oil.

sterile gloves are expensive but much nicer, they are also widely available very cheaply from medical supplies places when they have passed their expiry date! We use these ones to practise with, getting them on in an exam with damp hands from scrubbing up and keeping them sterile can be an absolute bugger!

Mike

A friend used to be an Environmental Health Officer for the local council.

According to her, during the 80s the majority of patients with testicular cancer worked as car mechanics. :o Apparently, the most significant problem is with used engine oil, as it is highly carcinogenic.

The message is use gloves!!

Latex are cheap, but not protection against petrol and other chemicals - they degrade almost instantly and then break up. In general they are very weak and I stopped using them becuase I spent too much time having to replace them.

I have used nitrile a few times - but at £11 for a box of 50-pairs, that's a tad expensive.

Vinyl are a lot stronger that latex, a lot cheaper than nitrile, are very tough, and resistant to any automotive chemicals that I have ever come across. Any of the above will make your hands sweat, but it's just something you have to put up with. Apart from old engine oil being a carcinogen, getting it out of your skin/under your nails is a real chore when you have to do it a couple of times every day. Powerful hand cleaners take the oil out of your skin, which is something else you then have to deal with. The skin on my hands dries up and splits, if I clench my fist it squeezes blood out of these splits down the side of my index fingers and thumbs, which is sore and takes ages to heal. Wearing sweaty gloves is a lot better as far as I'm concerned.

Les.

You could try a bit of talc in the gloves before you put them on.........It makes them easier to get on too.

Barrier cream is a help and aids cleaning if Like me, don't usualy ear glove cause a just can't manage with them.........

I was gven a tip many years ago.......

before getting your hands oily, sratch a bar of soap. The resultand wedge of soap under your nails keeps the grease and oil out and cleans out itself easily when washing....I tried it and it worked a treat, only problem was I couldn't stand the soap under my nails :blink:

Nigel.