Camper bodies - materials / build ideas.

Astro_Al

Howdy folks.

Anyone have any links or input on building a camper-type body?

I'm especially interested in shell materials, and ideas for expanding sections etc - especially involving expanding hard shells rather than canvas tenty bits, though all are welcome.

Ta for any pointers, its not for a landy, but could be... :D

...and no John, I haven't finished yet... :ph34r:

Cheers, Al.

Ta guys - yes its for the Mog. Figured I'd kill 2 vehicles with one stone and put a removeable camper body on.

Jeeez Fridge - can you say overhang!!! That thing might be sitting on an Ibex, but I'll be shooting for something a little more off-road friendly... ;)

Anyway, thanks for the ideas guys. Plenty to start with. I kinda like the caravan idea, although I was thinking of stuff which the roof can be lowered / raised a couple of feet so that the end product is less than 18ft tall while driving along. I've heard from several Mog-camper owners that this is their biggest woe.

Cheers, more ideas welcome.

Al :)

And for when you win the lottery...

Allrad Christ

Action Mobil

Neat design I saw on an awesome UK registered Bremach overland truck (prepped by Lyndi and Allrad Christ) was a body that had a shoe box design. The roof or box 'lid' was powered by four hydraulic rams, one at each corner and was interference sliding fit over the main box body. When travelling with the lid in the down position, it covered the windows and the top half of the access door to create a very secure passeneger compartment. When you parked up, you flicked a switch and the roof raised to create a proper living quarters. And before you ask, 'yes', there was a manual pump back-up! A brush type seal was used on the roof section that moved. The dimensions of the design were such that when lowered, the truck would fit into a container for shipping. Allrad Christ offers a clever set of solid aluminium slave wheels you bolt on for containering to lower the overall height even more.

You can see pics of the truck on both Lyndi's and Allrad Christ's websites.

Kev

Just found this that may be of use. http://www.xor.org.uk/

Christ in a rowing boat - I've never seen "Camper-Bex" with the body on !!

try searching for folding caravans here is the first I found eBay

Be wary of any with canvas sides though, by the time you get around to it - the canvas will have rotted :o

Yeah right - I can't see too much point in that camper-bex???

I hear your point on canvas :P , but this sucker will be ready to roll next year. Just cos yours is 'finished' with all the leccy gizmos man has invented. Besides, you will have sold it and found a new project by then...

How about converting your Ibex to a camper? :ph34r:

So anyway - an inputs on construction? Tig welded(!) ali box frame (excuse to buy an AC Tig :D ...)? Steel tube frame? Light would be nice.

Kev - the 'a jack in each corner' system was already first on the list. I'd probably go for some scaffolding screw jacks with a motor drive / handle backup, rather than air or hydro for simplicity. Seems a cracking idea though.

Floor space in the back of a 404 Mog is 2 x 3 metres. With a bed on the roof, thats a pretty good size space. :)

Cheers all. Al

Im warming to the idea of.........

getting a hydraulic pop up radio mast mounted in the centre of the load bed and then using that as the centre pole for a Teepee (spelling?) that way you get your low roof height, lightweight, Ethnic hippy Kudos and retain the ability to have a in vehicle poledancer

just an idea?

Al, an idea I've been mulling on for a while now is how to give a pop up top type vehicle hard sides to the extension. I never liked the idea of canvas sides, no insulation against heat & cold & bu99er all protection against people with nasty pointy things in places where nasty people might live. :unsure:

Over our summer just gone (ended today by the feel of it <_< ) I saw one of these ALiner campers which got me thinking that either a 110 sw based camper or something with a larger back body such as these110camper

could have a similar principle incorporated into the top. Lift up the lid, still with canvas sides for immediate protection against weather, dust storms, nosey bu99ers etc, & then lift up from inside a back panel to lock under the roof & then then sides to lock into the rear panel & the roof. Side & rear panels made from alloy foam sanwich panels like most RVs are nowadays. Good insulation & fairly much people with nasty pointy things proof :D & not too heavy. HTH

Steve.

Sounds possibly daft suggestion, but if you want to build something to your own design, look at a few of the horsebox builders/ websites.

They sell the strong lightweight 'boarding' that is used in modern lorries for strength, insulation, minimum weight.

The principle that they employ is based on a skeletal frame work with infill panels.

Just another avenue to explore, for materials/ inspiration etc......... or even to carry Jez's horse called Julia!

Howdy folks.

Anyone have any links or input on building a camper-type body?

I'm especially interested in shell materials, and ideas for expanding sections etc - especially involving expanding hard shells rather than canvas tenty bits, though all are welcome.

Ta for any pointers, its not for a landy, but could be... :D

...and no John, I haven't finished yet... :ph34r:

Cheers, Al.

These are nice and can be fitted for when you want it or taken off and left at home for the rest of the time

5.jpg

20.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Or could just get an off road camper trailer like mine. Great for storage . Has a 85 ltr tank , kitchen with gas tanks , and a full size double bed

trailer.jpg

tentup.jpg

at%20the%20top.jpg

Crossing%20at%20Cape.jpg

Thanks again for the ideas. Especially Jez for the 'rolling-bivouac' idea... :rolleyes:

Ali - I figure with a truck this size shoe-horning everything into a trailer is just not the way forward. I've got 2m x 3m of flat loadspace and getting on for 2 tonnes capacity to play with. I love your set-up for a landy though.

So far I'm thinking ali framework (must learn to Tig ali), some kind of insulated panels 'in between' the frame, skinned in something tough and light, with 4 corner jacks to reduce the roof height by a couple of foot or so when not in use. Camper body will therefore be like a shoe-box with the lid sliding over the base. Dunno whether to stick the beds on th roof or have them internal for now. I'm liking the roof plan, but...?

I'll investigate all the leads so far, thanks for the inputs. Any 'features' I should definitely include?

I have heard from experienced 'overlanders' that having a separate bed space that doesn't need to be constructed every night is a real godsend on a long journey. Having used roof-tents in Oz I really liked these, and you can kinda just leave it set up and just fold it over, lock it down and drive off.

Cheers, Al.