When I win the lottery.......

bishbosh

Well of all people I'm suprised Andy didn't comment on the colour scheme! I suppose being red it didn't even hit the radar! :lol:

Twas only meant to make it easy to differentiate between in and out. Tsk, some people, I ask you! :P

Mr Beast, where do you think I got my inspiration!

Mark90 - :lol::D

Bishbosh - try to have the bars which go to the point behind the driver's head all meet at the node, rather than a few inches away as some of them seem to. Maybe it was just for clarity, but I though I'd mention it...

By the way - what was that done in? I'm on the look out for a cheapo simple CAD program for whacking some tubes, axles, gearboxes etc together on 'paper' - any ideas? :unsure:

Al.

Oh is THAT why it's offset like that? Ok, sorry I see now. I wasn't sure what it was going into (a kids playground?).

Hmm, ok, well unless you start doubling up tube runs - one inside, one out, I guess you have to leave it like that.

Al.

Astro – the reason for the node separation is to only have one transverse bar. A short length of tube with a properly designed bolted splice through the roof panel will be plenty strong enough for the moments generated from the eccentricity. In reality the eccentricity is not likely to be more than 100mm I would estimate.

If I put the transverse bar internally I would loose the plan triangulation which I think is extremely important.

As for software – I drew it in a popular CAD package which isn’t cheap I’m afraid.

Mark –I started off with a traditional hoop, but changed it to remove the top horizontal, then modified it to have straight (and therefore stronger) bars from the top node to the chassis rail. The downside to this is that there is less protection for the occupants in a side impact scenario. I’m still debating whether or not to add it back in…..