Which wheel arch extensions - anyone got pictures?

FridgeFreezer

I need to fit extended wheel arches on the 109 and am caught in a dilemma - do I fit Defender arches, Series aftermarket extensions, or the Tomcat/QT rubber strip?

Defender arches are the cheapest option, Series ones I'm not entirely sure of and the Tomcat ones seem to be the most rufty-tufty.

Basically I don't want to end up with something that looks horrible. Has anyone got any piccies of vehicles fitted with the various options?

These chaps are UK based and were showing off their new cut-away wheel arch extensions on Pirate:

def2.jpg

The following was a response to some of the questions about the flares:

"They are 4 inches wide from the bodywork.You can trim 1 inch off the bodywork by attaching these.The angle the flare comes out from the bodywork is more acute therefore giving a greater cavity.

These flares are designed to be cut out flares.By trimming away the lip on the bodywork where normal flares attach leaves no real mounting solution other than side mounted fixings.

They cover the wheel At the top which makes them uk legal.

We say that 36x12.5 is the largest size because we have tested this with long travel suspension setups that allow the axle to move backward and forward."

I've never heard of them before but this appears to be their website. 222 quid for a set of wheel arches seems pretty steep! :blink:

Roccia Arches

Cheers Jon - which bit of the seat box are you on about, I'm struggling to visualise what you mean, or is it because I have a proper wheelbase that I don't have the offending bit? :P

Sorry - my use of english - the tops of the rear wheel boxes is what i mean. Ie if you were sitting in the rear tub you'd normally be sitting on what is the rear wheel arch box. The top of this is about 2" higher up on a 90 than on a series so the top of the plastic arch ends up above where the wheel box is if you try and fit em to a series rear tub. Those of us who have proper axles usually cut them out for rear wheel clearance but you might not have done.

like this - (shamelessly nicked from Tonk's website!)

innerarches.jpg

These were cheap and cheerful generic off the internet jobbies. They come as a long roll and you cut to fit. Easy to fit and about 60 quid in total as I recall. Their flexible and about 4" as I recall. I think they are "Pacer" as I recall. If you want me to I'll try to dig up the name.

post-212-1174701831_thumb.jpg

Pacer "flexy flares": Felxy Flares

I was wrong about the price. The extra wides that I have, 4.5", were USD 48! The Heavy Duty version, that run up to 3" wide, are USD 75 and have a steel reinforcing rod along the outer to maintain better rigidity.

Can buy them here:

Autobarn

JC Whitney

LV Custom Trucks

You may be able to find them that side of the pond but not for 20 - 40 quid. Even with shipping they should be well under 100 Stirling.

The fact that they are flexible has been quite helpful on the trail. Even thhough they are flexible, they have held their shape as well.

Good luck.

I seem to recall that I got 20 feet. At Roccia's prices that's GBP 80.80 which is expensive compared to US prices, but you have to factor in shipping costs. My guess is that it will be fairly close delivered from the US vs. delivered from Roccia. Add in the fact that purchasing from over here can be tricky as many US based retailers cannot conceive of international commerce..... :rolleyes:

On the other hand, if you can find someone willing to bring them back from the States for you as checked baggage (20 feet is fairly heavy), it's a considerable savings.

Well you have seen the arches on my hybrid, remember it has a 109 rear tub.

There was abit of 'adjustment' needed to make them fit but that is covered by the arch, so it looks tidy.

And to be a right pain, the rear tub is an ex military one, so has the boxes in it too, which meant that the plastic arch had to have a small amount trimmed out of it, about 3inches, where there was no lip to allow for the arch to mounting.

• 2 years later...

These were cheap and cheerful generic off the internet jobbies. They come as a long roll and you cut to fit. Easy to fit and about 60 quid in total as I recall. Their flexible and about 4" as I recall. I think they are "Pacer" as I recall. If you want me to I'll try to dig up the name.

RPR - can I ask what you have for wheels in this pic, and any spacers ? Assuming you have std axles also, perhaps you could clarify...

thx mate

Personally, I think the Series arches look horrible. They do have the advantage of being the easiest to fit, though, with no trimming of the panels, and should be removable with the screw holes being on the underside of the arches rather than in the flat panels.

I think Defender arches look the best, but you would have to cut the panels to fit them. I have them on my 109, pictured below.

The aftermarket arches can look cheap or amateur in some cases, while other look of higher quality, but they all seem to scream for attention, which makes them a bit "bling-like" to me. I can see the need for them is some cases, but I don't like them.

If Defender arches are wide enough for your tyres and axles, Id recommend that route.

post-4758-125874450546_thumb.jpg

Bet you don't like mine then :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of plastic wheel arches on Lightweights, but they are at least in keeping with their non-nonsense angular form. Anyway, you have little choice with the narrow body and wide RR axles. What I really dislike is floppy, untidy conveyor belt strips nailed to the wings, big wheel arches where not required (like most RRCs and Discoverys) or huge wheels and tyres (I dislike those anyway) left exposed by standard spats. It's simply a matter of choosing what is appropriate to the situation. ;)