what size are the brakes r on 1989 series 3

series3_mad

thanks for the help tonk, i didnt wont to got out and buy brakes shoes which were 10" when i needed 11", and i keep putting 1989 from some reason probley any thing in the 1989 reminds me when i was born in 1989 plus i was in a lesson so didnt have much time to think about wat i was putting. :rolleyes:

thanks for the help tonk, i didnt wont to got out and buy brakes shoes which were 10" when i needed 11", and i keep putting 1989 from some reason probley any thing in the 1989 reminds me whne it was born in 1989 plus i was in a lesson so didnt have much time to think about wat i was putting. :rolleyes:

$hit, feeling my age now that I can't be called the youngster :(

thanks for the help tonk, i didnt wont to got out and buy brakes shoes which were 10" when i needed 11", and i keep putting 1989 from some reason probley any thing in the 1989 reminds me when i was born in 1989 plus i was in a lesson so didnt have much time to think about wat i was putting. :rolleyes:

You could always buy 11"s, then if they are wrong saw an inch off to 10"s

Nige

Of course, you could do the obvious thing and measure the drum!

If your brakes have been modified (it's very easy to do) you could have non original size brakes on it. I put 11" brakes on catflap and he's a 1972 swb which would have been fitted with 10" brakes.

Les. :)

easy way to tell is 11" have 2 wheel cylinders and 10" only one.

agree with Les, wots on there might not be standard, i put 11" front brakes on my '65 2a, then ripped them off and fitted discs, now any shoe wont fit :lol:

Nige,

i dont think u could afford to lose an inch :o:rolleyes::lol:

You could always buy 11"s, then if they are wrong saw an inch off to 10"s

Nige

They won't work too well as the curvature will be wrong so you would need to bend them a little bit, but be careful the spot welds don't go pop! Also you may find the holes for the springs are in the wrong place, nothing a drill + bit can't sort :D

The best way is to buy 10 inch because they're cheaper. If your drums happen to be 11 inch then fill the extra 1/2 inch gap with Plastic Padding.

Drive round the block, gently applying the brakes before the Plastic Padding sets to hone them in to the correct size.

Ignore this lot, they're winding you up m8.

What you need to do is buy 10" drums, on a 11" backplate, but 11" shoes and slack the snails right off. Fit 11" cylinders as well to get the more powerful braking system. The brakes may be a bit tight for a while, but they'll last Yonks!!

Les. :D

P.S. there might also be some smoke, but this will go eventually. If you are at all worried about smoke/flames/excessive heat on your bum, then a handy telephone number to remember is 999.

P.P.S (or is it P.S.S?)

You may also notice engine noise being drowned out by a grinding/squealing noise. AA/RAC/etc cover will sort this problem.

You might also notice That the tyres only wear in one particular place. If this occurs, jack the wheel up, remove the wheel nuts, and turn the wheel 'one stud', replace wheel and enjoy a few more yards of trouble-free motoring!!

:P