8274 Question Again !!

TJ101

Guys, only quick one, Books says sae 30 oil, is this what everyone else is using ??? and 6 oz of it ! how full should it be ?

A quick search through the archives does not reveal a answer !! :unsure:

Also, should the mainshaft oil seal pop out the casing as easily as mine, or

1 do you seal them in ?

2 or have i not got mine in far enough ?

Also, in the Gen brake kit, their is a "cardboard" ring, which goes between the casing and the brake drum, if this the bit that keeps the oil seal in ?? if so, its too wide, ??

TIA

Guys, only quick one, Books says sae 30 oil, is this what everyone else is using ??? and 6 oz of it ! how full should it be ?

A quick search through the archives does not reveal a answer !! :unsure:

Also, should the mainshaft oil seal pop out the casing as easily as mine, or

1 do you seal them in ?

2 or have i not got mine in far enough ?

Also, in the Gen brake kit, their is a "cardboard" ring, which goes between the casing and the brake drum, if this the bit that keeps the oil seal in ?? if so, its too wide, ??

TIA

Mole Valley farmer sell SAE30 Tim in 5 litres containers

put in a normal sized mug full and no more , or it'll leak

From Mr Ciderman on my thread...

Ok back on topic Les , Get a new Bronze bush , if its still a bit loose loctite it in and the seal , Drill 3 x2.5mm holes in a triangular format into the flange on the casing next to the seal tap them out with a 4mm tap screw in 3 M4x 5mm setscrews with washers that overlap the metal part of the seal , This will stop any float by the seal and bush .

HTH

whats an 8275? is it one better than an 8274?

have you upgraded to a winch that actually works and doesn't smoke at the first hint of strain?

What you on Jim ??? ( thanks Mod :D )

Mm, 30 or 80/90 , got gallons of that, even fully synthetic 85/90,

Les, yep, new bush and seal, will try the loctite

Slightly off topic but related....

In the brake kit there is a Round "thing" with a small section cut out... :unsure:

Where does that go then ? :rolleyes:

I ask because the one 8274 I got from Steve was in bits already and the other one did'nt have one when I stripped it down, both are old, with the round free spool knob, and the brake and the brake assembly you could pull 1/2" out from the main body, athough the seal and bush were about as loose as you could get :blink:

also if I needd them better get them ordered as I want to try and get them both back together this weekend :unsure:

Slightly off topic but related....

In the brake kit there is a Round "thing" with a small section cut out... :unsure:

Les,, that sounds like the "cardboard" thing i was on about,, According to the drawings, it goes between the seal/bush etc on the mainshaft, and the brake drum, In my case, if you fit it, the mainsahft does not push fully back in, for the lock plate to located in the gear-case top !!

the cordboard washer thing is a spacer afink to set the right depth of the bush back in, but i stand corrected :ph34r:

i never use it anyhows :lol:

it does mention it somewhere in the destructions that come with the service kit

o i run mine 8274's on cv grease :ph34r: runs quieter :lol:

dan

no signs of ware tony, i prefere it cos it just sticks to everything and lubs well IMO, the cam stays well greasy :lol:

its even worked its way into the bronze bushes :blink: which i couldnt believe,

at 1st it was only tempp to see what they run like, but now its perminant :lol:

as for servicing, both mine are accessed very easy so i remove them strip, put in parts washer ect

just abit messier thats all <_<

dan

use 1 tube and its just right, turn the drum by hand and watch it cling to everything it touches,

another thing i found it that all the bits that find themselve at the bottom get flung up in the grease then stick to the top casing so you can wipe it out easily :lol::lol:

dan