Saturday

My boss is a decent chap, when I broke my new second hand welder doing some bits and bobs for work, he paid for a new welder! Bless! So, as I don't need a hoofing gert mig for what I do, I pootled down to Wellington Welding Supplies in Avonmouth and bout a ludicrously cheap Hobart 140 Gas/Gasless. Reasonable duty cycle, good for exhausts/bodywork/short runs of reasonable thickness blah blah.

I spoke to the God that is Jezmond about this whole gasless thing and he assured me that it is a sin beyond redemption so five minutes to convert the 140 to gas - I have Argon, Argon/C02 and C02 for various things.

Saturday was a quiet relaxing day - small jobs etc. Bit of winch fixing on the morning but just chores on the pm. So I thought I would try out the new mig.

First things first. Got the Ali wire out and patched the lawn mower deck! Corker. Lovely job and sooooo easy to use.

Then I thought I would knock up an exhaust for the 100" - well the back half - as it has been missing for a while...

I ended up sticking things together in the garage just for the pleasure.

Got a bit carried away in the end and have started making a scarecrow out of scrap....

So for less than 200notes, Hobart 140, nice bit of kit, ideal for those of you, who like me, are secure in just welding normal stuff!

Gasless Mig welding !!!

Work of the Devil , Im glad you took advice and converted to gas .

BTW the bloke in wellington welding supplies , A bit weird dont you think , He dont like customers or is it just me ??

The older bloke is a bit on the 'Local Shop for Local Welders' side

The other bloke is ok

I was reading up about gasless mig on the 'web the other night. Seeing as I have a roll of wire and the easy ability to swap polarity I thought I might just give it a go. It's a bit like kinky sex - how do you know what it's like unless you try it. Of course you can always ask Moglite about the kinky sex bit but I don't know if he has tried gasless mig

Gasless Mig welding !!!

Work of the Devil , Im glad you took advice and converted to gas .

The one redeeming feature of gasless is you can weld outdoors on a windy day.

If I ever get round to building a welder / alternator thing with a reel gun - I'll run gasless!

Si

The one redeeming feature of gasless is you can weld outdoors on a windy day.

If I ever get round to building a welder / alternator thing with a reel gun - I'll run gasless!

Si

Not much need for building - it can be done really simple.

Just buy one of those cheap welders with a useless amperage, but functioning welding wire spool. Rip out the transformers and install a couple of anderson connectors. Mount a 24 volt alternator and two 12 volt batteries ind the car and make some long leads for the anderson connectors.

24 volt is ok for DC welding, 36 would be better, but I have never had a chance to aqquire a 36 volt automotive alternator - I know they exist somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
So Mr Hobbit.....3 weeks on how is the Hobart 140 performing?

Still very happy with it. Made an exhaust, cut it up and made another. Did soem welding on the RaRo before it went to it's new home (no welding to do on the replacement {Passat}). Made some modifications to the chicken run, made a new cage for the slow worm hospital. It's a great welder. Making up a proto bikini mount for the rar of the LR at the moment.

I went to Wellington in poole today and asked about the 140....they dont make one and havnt done for a long time apparently, in fact hobart are no longer in business!

They do have 175's tho which come in @ £205 inc vat and they will throw in reg/wire for gas conversion too :)

Yup, thats the one, no longer in production and Hobart are owned by another brand, and are no longer manufacturing or selling units under the Hobart brand, so Wellington told me the other day!

"gasless" mig is actually flux cored arc welding, developed from the ship building industry, not really suited to thin gauge material. if you convert a small amperage machine, you may struggle to get enough heat into thicker stuff, (3mm for example), the solution is to run co2 instead of argon/Co2, this will increase the burn temp. technically, its not mig welding because the gas is active, pure argon is the only mig welding, as the argon is INERT. the alternative is MAG welding, (ACTIVE gas shield).

Has anyone tried TIG welding with an inverter machine, its about the size of a toaster but can really give the power. Tig is very similar to gas welding but uses an electric arc as the "flame". It is very refined. The machines come in at a similar price to your hobart "gasless" machine.

What a boring old fart ive become since my 40th birthday!!

"gasless" mig is actually flux cored arc welding, developed from the ship building industry, not really suited to thin gauge material. if you convert a small amperage machine, you may struggle to get enough heat into thicker stuff, (3mm for example), the solution is to run co2 instead of argon/Co2, this will increase the burn temp. technically, its not mig welding because the gas is active, pure argon is the only mig welding, as the argon is INERT. the alternative is MAG welding, (ACTIVE gas shield).

Has anyone tried TIG welding with an inverter machine, its about the size of a toaster but can really give the power. Tig is very similar to gas welding but uses an electric arc as the "flame". It is very refined. The machines come in at a similar price to your hobart "gasless" machine.

What a boring old fart ive become since my 40th birthday!!

I've not seen any decent TIG machines for that price (£200 ish), the hobart can be run gas or gassless too.